We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fond Memories of Lomé

Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Fond Memories of Lomé

Having been to Lomé a couple of times I'm always interested in reading about the experiences others have had in Togo. The first time I went to Lomé I was a little taken back by how different it was from what I am used to in Canada. After a few days of getting to know the area and some of its people I gained a much better appreciation for it. Though not as clean and advanced as some major cities Lomé definately has its charm and personality. Found the Grande Marche to be a particularly enjoyable place to visit.

Wales UK
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Fond Memories of Lomé

Was interested to here about Togo.

Would like to hear from others who have been there recently.

I was concerned to read the British Warning to traverlers regarding not going out at night alone as there were a lot of muggins of foriegn visitors ... Is this true .... Also that when it happened, the Police took very little interest.

Also that one danger spot is the beach around the Hotel Sarakawa in Lomo.

Have other visitors found these difficulties as I am a little aged and would be going alone.

Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fond Memories of Lomé

Think like most poorer cities Lomé does have its crime. I've also heard stories about problems at night. A keen awareness of what's going on and being with a group of people will go a long way to ensuring your safety.

Also heard that the hotel area was a problem. We avoided it. Pick pockets and counterfit goods by roaming sellers is also something to watch out for. Dealing with people who have regular vendor stations is recommended.

I didn't have anything to do with the local police and I can't say that I would have wanted to rely on them either. Enforcement there was certainly not as strong as in other places.

canada
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fond Memories of Lomé

Hello,

I am a student from Canada, planning to spend 3 months in Lome as part of a volunteer project. Would you recommend it to be a safe place to travel/live alone?

canada
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fond Memories of Lomé

Hello,

I am a student from Canada, planning to spend 3 months in Lome as part of a volunteer project. Would you recommend it to be a safe place to travel/live alone?

Western Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fond Memories of Lomé

I'd say you'd be ok travelling alone. I just would suggest you take some precautions. Being able to speak French would certainly help.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fond Memories of Lomé

Having to travel and stay at Lome on a consistant basis the only thing that really comes to mind is why anyone would want to come here? The hotel card holder that is give to you reads: CAUTION The beach and its surrounding the hotel are subject to frequent attacks. Directly across the street is a military jeep with a 12.7mm machine gun mounted.

I am told by the locals that crime is a sport here. After seeing a tourist get mugged right outside the hotel gate one evening, I would agree with this statment.

As for charm and personality, if one considers litter and polution charm and personality, then Lome is teaming with it!

7. Re: Fond Memories of Lomé

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 11:19
Get answers to your questions about Lome