We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston to Lusaka

Lynn, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Boston to Lusaka

Hoping to make a trip to Victoria Falls area next year (2017) .

I will be traveling from Boston USA and would like a few days in the Falls area and also in Lusaka. 5-7 days total. My son in the Peace Corps and it would be to see him and see the country of Zambia. I may tag on a stop in the UK to visit with family.

I am not see the best way to prepare for a 14 journey for starters ?

April may work for my son's schedule. SO>>>Looking for any input to start the planning !

Mentioned in this post
Victoria Falls
Victoria Falls
Matabeleland North Province, Zimbabwe
Lusaka
Lusaka
Lusaka Province, Zambia
Zambia
Zambia
Africa
10 replies to this topic
london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
5,638 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston to Lusaka

Do you really only have 5-7 days total to spend in Zambia? If you want to visit the falls, that's going to be a couple of days. I wouldn't suggest spending the rest in Lusaka- if your son has time off I'd suggest going to a game reserve together for some safari time. At that time of year, South Luangwa is probably your best bet and has accommodation to suit a range of budgets. And even the higher end lodges won't be too expensive as April will be low/shoulder season. Flatdogs is a popular budget to mid-range option, Kafunta would be a step up, Nkwali is a favourite of mine, Chinzombo would be the top end option. In April, most of the camps in more remote parts of the park are still closed, but the Bushcamp Company have some open, and you could combine a couple of nights at one of their bushcamps with some time at Mfuwe Lodge, which is their base.

At the budget end, try Croc Velley, Marula Camp. Wildlife Camp, there are a number of options.

Another option for safari close to the falls would be Hwange in Zimbabwe.

But I would personally try and find a bit more time than 5-7 days. It's a long way to go for such a short time, and don't underestimate how much time it will take you to get from place to place.

As for getting there- going via the UK won't do much to break up your journey I'm afraid- there are no longer direct flights from London to Lusaka. For us now the best routes are either via Johannesburg or Dubai, and based on my recent experiences, I'd prefer the Emirates route via Dubai. There is also Ethiopian which I haven't tried.

From the US, if you don't go via Europe your quickest route is probably to use the South African Airways direct flights to Johannesburg, which I think go from New York. But I understand this route is quite expensive, so Emirates is probably worth a look. I have also met a number of Americans on safari who have found decent routes with Ethiopian.

Mentioned in this post
Zambia
Zambia
Africa
Lusaka
Lusaka
Lusaka Province, Zambia
Johannesburg
Johannesburg
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
Jackson, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
9,234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston to Lusaka

I watch these flights for my own trip next June. We are going to use Ethiopian on one leg of the journey on their 787.

From Boston your best option may be Emirates as SG suggests, just one connection. From BOS using Ethiopian would mean 2-3 connections of BOS/IAD/ADD/LUN or via YYZ, on the return the flight makes an additional stop so Emirates is the cleanest in terms of stops/connections. Ethiopian best price right now.

Lynn, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston to Lusaka

Thank you so much for your information. I do believe it would be more in the Fall or the next spring. I could manage more time and understand the logistics of the travel in that area. My son did go with SA airlines from NY to Johannesburg. I will be reaching out again when I get the planning process going.

Happy New Year!

Mentioned in this post
Johannesburg
Johannesburg
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
Lynn, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston to Lusaka

Thanks for your input--so much to learn as I have never been to that area of our world. But I want to take advantage while my son is there.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,305 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston to Lusaka

Please take some time if you possibly can and visit South Luangwa National Park because it is without a doubt close to being one of the finest National Parks not only in Africa,but in the world. It's combination of scenery,night drives, walking, and huge amounts of wildlife is simply unbeatable. There are endemic species such as Crawshay's zebra, Thornicroft's giraffe, and Cookson's wildebeest which you'll only find in South Luangwa National Park. The leopard and lion sightings are simply awesome. The wilderness vibe is simply first rate.You'll never be surrounded by hordes of other vehicles.

With your limited time in Zambia, if i had to choose between visiting Victoria Falls and South Luangwa National Park I'd definitely choose the later. I've even been to both 3 times and much prefer South Luangwa National Park, In fact I'll be making my fourth visit next year. Every time I visit I enjoy it even more.

Mentioned in this post
Zambia
Zambia
Africa
Victoria Falls
Victoria Falls
Matabeleland North Province, Zimbabwe
Lynn, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston to Lusaka

Thanks for the input ! so much to think about.

Lynn, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston to Lusaka

My son did plan on Emirate for his trip home in the new year. I will check them out.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston to Lusaka

Best fares to Lusaka from London seem to be with Ethiopian Airlines. Then Proflight to Livingstone. All dependandant on your routing.I've never used them but my sister has on numerous occasions.Just looking at return flights in December from Boston on ET, USD 660.

Edited: 07 September 2017, 15:19
Mentioned in this post
Lusaka
Lusaka
Lusaka Province, Zambia
Livingstone
Livingstone
Southern Province, Zambia
london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
5,638 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston to Lusaka

I have just been booking flights for next year's trips. Usually from London Emirates and Ethiopian are very similarly priced (around £700) but Emirates seem to bump their prices up considerably around holidays. One of my trips next year is over Easter and Emirates worked out a lot more so I am trying Ethiopian for the first time.

I am also going to Zambia in July/Aug and the flights are just about becoming available to book and it looks like the same story. In early July, Emirates is just under £700, in late July they jump to over £1000. So I may be going Ethiopian again!

Mentioned in this post
Zambia
Zambia
Africa
Jackson, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
9,234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Boston to Lusaka

We flew Ethiopian in June from Stockholm to Addis and then to Lusaka and then Proflight to LVI.

All went well, very satisfactory. ADD is a bit crowded but again, all went well. They feed you and the seats are ok.

Mentioned in this post
Lusaka
Lusaka
Lusaka Province, Zambia
Reply to: Boston to Lusaka
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lusaka