We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a trip to India - what cities to visit?

United States
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Planning a trip to India - what cities to visit?

I'm planning a family trip to India and looking for recommendations. What cities should we visit (I'm thinking Mumbai, New Delhi, Jaipur)? What should we see - a mixture of "must see sights" and local flavor? Do we need a guide and driver or can we wing it ourselves? How long is enough time? It will be a 24 hour flight for us each way. Usually we like to travel on our own and I plan our days, even internationally, but India may be above my pay grade. On our trip to South Africa we had a private tour guide/driver every step of the way and I'm glad that we did. Any help is greatly appreciated. I don't know where to start!

11 replies to this topic
Mysuru (Mysore...
Destination Expert
for Mysuru (Mysore)
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a trip to India - what cities to visit?

Depends on the month you are visiting and how much time you have. Delhi, Agra and Jaipur are usually on most people's list, with the possibility of an arrival in Delhi and exit out of Mumbai.

United States
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a trip to India - what cities to visit?

Thinking November, December or February. Airline prices will be a factor. Thank you - I didn't think of Agra.

Agra
Destination Expert
for Agra
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a trip to India - what cities to visit?

Nov and Feb are great months to travel to India particularly North India..weather will be clear and pleasant...sometimes it gets foggy in Dec....you can start in Delhi/Mumbai.....for the first timer a tour of Golden Triangle(Delhi>Agra>Jaipur)is going to be a good introduction of India....it can also be done if time is limited and if time is not a concern you can include few more cities with Golden Triangle circuit.

Regards

Rashid Agra

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
820 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a trip to India - what cities to visit?

North India : Most famous itinerary called Golden Triangle which covers Delhi- Agra- Jaipur

This can be done by Trains, Private Cabs, Buses,

2-3 days in Delhi

1 day in Agra

2-3 Days in Jaipur.

Can also be combined with a wildlife sanctuary - Ranthambore.

Next you can explore Rajasthan in North India or go down south - Mumbai , Goa

Mumbai - 2 days

New years best party in India happens in Goa and Nov- to feb is the best time to visit the goa beaches.

Travel Consultants - selfishtravel

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a trip to India - what cities to visit?

We assume you get three weeks vacation so with travel time deducted plus

1 day each side to beat jet lag you are left with 16 nights.

You can arrive in Delhi - 2 or 3 nights - Hire a car and driver for the entire journey as driving in India is a nightmare.

Agra 1 night 2 days

Jaipur 3 nights

Jaisalmer 2 nights

Jodhpur 1 night 2 days

Kumbhalgadh, Ranakpur 1 night

Udaipur 3 nights

fly back to Delhi and then fly out to home sweet home.

or else after Jaipur you can fly to Kerala which is also equally wonderful.

Hope this helps.

Sanjiv

Edited: 07 June 2018, 11:42
Chandigarh, India
Level Contributor
159 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a trip to India - what cities to visit?

I would recommend you to visit Goa, varanasi(Ghats), kerela(Backwaters), Amritsar(Golden temple) ,Agra(Taj Mahal), udaipur(For beautiful lakes), shimla( Snowy mountains),Rishikesh (Adventure Sports), etc. are most amazing and popular tourist places to visit in india.

I think it will help you a lot !!

Thane, India
Level Contributor
928 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning a trip to India - what cities to visit?

I would suggest you to add Uttarakhand, Rajasthan and Kerala to your plans. You will surely have a memorable holiday.

Good Luck

India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning a trip to India - what cities to visit?

February is the best time to travel to Delhi/Agra. Not November when smog is at its peak. For family travel, use a private car for the Golden Triangle trip. It will give you a lot of flexibility and reduce the stress of managing travel in India.

You can fly to Mumbai from Delhi or Jaipur.

9. Re: Planning a trip to India - what cities to visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2018, 23:20

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
2,793 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning a trip to India - what cities to visit?

Hi,

Well Suggested by Durhamlass14 Delhi - Agra - Jaipur - Jodhpur and Udaipur are the best at this time and fly from Udaipur to Delhi or Mumbai

Hope this will help you

Regards

Discovery Prime Tours

Reply to: Planning a trip to India - what cities to visit?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted