We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning to go in June 2018

7 posts
Save Topic
Planning to go in June 2018

Hi... I am planning to visit Nepal on 15th June 2018... Is it a good time to go there...? Actually afraid about the rainy season there... Can I visit there now? Are there any issues with landslides and all?

Mentioned in this post
14 replies to this topic
Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
13,692 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning to go in June 2018

Hi Isha

June is not a bad time to travel to Nepal; there are worse times regarding the weather.

The monsoon is often said to start in mid-June but it can be earlier or later, it also can start with heavy or light rain. It is difficult to predict. For what it's worth - and it's not much - I visited mid-June into July 2015 and the weather was quite dry - it may well be different this year fo course.

I have also visited when it has been very rainy but even then general sightseeing and travelling around KTM and the valley much. Buses and taxis ran as usual and there was always somewhere to shelter from a heavy rain spell. Longer road journeys were made longer because of the rain including landslides.

Landslides can happen at any time but are more common during the latter part of the monsoon when the land has soaked up all the water it can. They are less frequent in the early monsoon but can still happen.

I would not be put off visiting in the latter half of June but would avoid a busy itinerary with a lot of longer distance travelling.

Do you intend to trek?

Good luck.

scoodly

Mentioned in this post
Tribhuvan Airport
Tribhuvan Airport
Kathmandu, Nepal
Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
107 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning to go in June 2018

Hi Isha P,

Actually Jun July and August is rainy season in Nepal and of course, it happened some time might be less rain and sometimes heavy rain as Scoodly said. Also, as a country like Nepal, there are lots of landslide and flood in monsoon. However, if you are short time visitor then you better stay in the city and travel and sightseeing by using car, taxi etc. if you intended to trek longer then I would recommend you to do Upper Mustang Trek (Rain Shed area) but to go there you need to get special permits and minimum of two travelers.

Thanks

UC.

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning to go in June 2018

Hi Isha P,

Welcome to Nepal in advance. June 15! I would say it is still a good time for trekking and the rest. But the rain is unavoidable this time around and also since it started to rain early this year.

If you're worried about the landslides, I haven't heard of any news of such yet. But expect to have few normal landslides in some trekking areas. Good luck.

Gokarna, Nature Lovers Treks

Mentioned in this post
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning to go in June 2018

Thanks for the advice... But I don't wanna trek... I just want to casually travel by my personal car.... Is it a good time?

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
13,692 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning to go in June 2018

Hi again

Travelling by personal car in June is possible and you can have a good time. Have a flexible itinerary with a little extra time for any longer distance journeys e.g. KTM to Pokhara and Chitwan to KTM as examples.

scoodly

Edited: 09 June 2018, 21:05
Mentioned in this post
Tribhuvan Airport
Tribhuvan Airport
Kathmandu, Nepal
Pokhara
Pokhara
Gandaki Zone, Nepal
Chitwan National Park
Chitwan National Park
Chitwan District, Nepal
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning to go in June 2018

Hi ISha,

I was just there in Nepal for 5 days and just returned today, as far as i can share, you will only experience short amount of rains per day. It barely rained and just cleared up the dust in KTM which is really good for us. But in Pokhara side, during early morning, thunnderstorms and heavy rains but will clear up by 8:30. Who doesnt love waking to rains right? Hope this helps.

Ian

Mentioned in this post
Tribhuvan Airport
Tribhuvan Airport
Kathmandu, Nepal
Pokhara
Pokhara
Gandaki Zone, Nepal
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning to go in June 2018

Thanks for the advice Ian...

7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning to go in June 2018

Is there any problem about the currency exchange... Bcoz I am coming by road from India?

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
107 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning to go in June 2018

There is no problem to exchange the currency in Nepal even in the border there is a lot of money exchange where you can change the money or you may go to the recognized bank to change the money.

here find the link below to for the currency rate and acceptance from Nepal Government.

https://www.nrb.org.np/fxmexchangerate.php

Cheers

UC

Mentioned in this post
Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
13,692 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning to go in June 2018

Hi Isha

As above no real problems changing the currencies listed in the link above. However, a not about Indian rupees:

New denomination notes - 200s, 500s, 2000s - are not officially allowed into the country so are difficult to exchange in some places. The maximum allowed in the smaller notes (100s and below) is 25000 INR per person. There is at least a theoretical risk of confiscation for new notes and amounts above the limit. My understanding is that INR cannot be used to pay for a visa on arrival.

This might not be relevant ot you of course.

scoodly

Reply to: Planning to go in June 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted