We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sleeping pads

3 posts
Save Topic
Sleeping pads

I will be living for several months in Nepal, mostly in Bhaktapur. I am told that mattresses there are very hard and so I may want to buy a foam pad to make it more comfortable. Is it possible to buy simple foam sleeping pads in Kathmandu or nearby? If so where, and at what price?

Also can you buy good mosquito bed nets?

Espoo
Level Contributor
2,182 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sleeping pads

Well, about 1.5 million people live in the Kathmandu Valley, and most sleep on some sort of foam mattress. They definitely do not travel to Delhi, Bangkok or Singapore to buy them.

Lastly: they are cheap, likely to be cheaper than anywhere in the west.

R K
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
116 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sleeping pads

Don't worry. Once you get to Nepal you'll be better able to see your options for mattresses. Be aware that there are a ton of options from simple fibre filled to basic foam, to standard coil based on what you want to pay. There's really no reason to get a trekking sleeping pad for this. A lot of people find an extra fibre filled sleeping mat or basic foam mattress sets them right. This will all make more sense once you are actually there.

3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sleeping pads

Alas I need specific information about price and where to buy.

I have friends who live not far from Kathmandu and they say they most people sleep on very hard, straw-like mattresses, and that they have never seen anyone selling a simple foam mattress for a house bed.

Another friend who recently visited said he never saw a foam mattress in the inexpensive hotels he stayed in, nor in the places he stayed when he went trekking.

Is there anyone who actually lives there who can give me specific information?

Carthage, Tunisia
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sleeping pads

Mattresses do tend to be hard here! You can buy pieces of foam to put on top of your bed. Take the dimensions to one of the many foam shops and they will cut it to size. You can choose the thickness. Another option is to buy one of the cotton filled quilts that are usually placed on top but you can also sleep on them. These are sold all over the place, maybe not in Thamel though.

3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sleeping pads

Thanks for you info about foam shops hf01. Can you or anyone actually tell me where any of these shops are located, or how to find these shops in either Bhatktpur or Kathmandu? And what about mosquito nets? Where best bought?, & are they cheaper in Nepal or is it cheaper to buy one in Europe and bring it with me?

I am happy to shop outside of Thamal, in fact I would prefer to shop outside of that tourist area, and will have a young local to help me, but he does not live in Kathmandu and may not know where to best places to go.

Save Reply
6. Re: Sleeping pads

i have hiked a couple of summits . The best advised I got for sleeping foam are the insulation foam (silver) you use for ceiling or pipes . they are dirty cheap from your local hardware , light and you can buy by the meter

7. Re: Sleeping pads

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2015, 13:21