We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinary for Kathmandu

London, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
Itinary for Kathmandu

Going to Bhutan and will be doing a stopover at Kathmandu on both legs of my trip. Please advise on itinary.

27 Sep (Sat): Arrive KTM at 10:35 am. Plan to go to Bhaktapur / Changu Narayan today. Overnight at Bhaktapur. Fly out at 9:05 am next morning.

6 Oct (Mon): Arrive KTM at 8:40 am. Check in at Kathmandu hotel. Visit Pashupathinath, Bouddhanath.

7 Oct (Tues): Flight is at 11:15 pm today. Visit Patan today.

Will the itinary be too tight on the first day at Bhaktapur? Will the following itinary be better?

27 Sep - Check in at KTM hotel. Visit Patan.

6 Oct - Visit Bhaktapur/ Changu Narayan. Overnight at Bhaktapur.

7 Oct - Visit the sights at KTM. Fly out at 11:15 pm

Are the main attractions open most days?

Suggestions welcome.

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
427 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinary for Kathmandu

I think your second plan is more practical, since Bhaktapur is farther from the KTM airport. Your arrival might be late, so hieing off the longer distance (and getting back early the next morning) seems a little troublesome to me.

You can stay in Patan itself -- I can recommend the Newa Chen hotel, which is only about 300m from the Durbar Square. (But they only have 8 rooms, so may be already full.) The "Patan Walkabout" is a nice tour of the city, and is described on various websites -- search for that name, or PM me with your email address and I'll email you a PDF describing the walk (just a reformatting from one of those websites).

Frankly, I wasn't impressed with Changu Narayan -- but my wife liked it a lot. For both of us, Bhaktapur was incredibly fun to walk around -- as a UNESCO World Heritage site, it doesn't have "modern" style construction in its core, so it has a more authentic feel than Kathmandu.

London, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinary for Kathmandu

Thanks for your suggestion. I will opt for th second option.

(1) Am considering whether to stay in Patan or Kathmandu for my first night. Is there enough to keep us occupied in Patan ? The idea that it is much quieter than Kathmandu is also a plus point.

(2) On my return leg, I will stay in Bakhtapur and only visit Kathmandu on the last day of my trip (my flight is only at 11 pm). Presumably, I can do all the main sights in Kathmandu that day. So, not really missing out on anything by not staying in Kathmandu.

(3) Not too keen on having to fend of touts etc, there rae fixed fare taxis to Patan?

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
11,372 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinary for Kathmandu

Hi

Patan is much quieter than Thamel and there are a few reataurants but it does lack the bars that Thamel has. It's a long time since I stayed in Patan though.

You can still visit the sights in KTM from Bhakatapur but it how convenient it is might depend on which sights you intend to visit and what you will do with your luggage.

If you mean from the airport there is a pre-paid taxi counter on the right just before you leave the airport building. The fares are higher than can be negotiated with the drivers but it does save you from the scrum of touts. Some hotel/trekking touts do hang around by the taxi counter - ignore them.

scoodly

4. Re: Itinary for Kathmandu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2014, 18:02
5. Re: Itinary for Kathmandu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2015, 13:16