We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel from Nepal to Tibet

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
travel from Nepal to Tibet

can anyone tell me how would i be able to obtain visa/permit to visit Tibet from Nepal being an EU citizen, or must i do that in a local embassy?

Langkawi, Malaysia
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: travel from Nepal to Tibet

Dear Arkinkeli, my husband and I are currently in India and planning a trip to Nepal in November and have been reading your posts with interest. We would like to visit Tibet from Nepal and would like to get a group visa as you suggest. Please could you tell us where to get this. As per your recommendation, we would like to fly from Kathmandu to Lhasa and then drive back to Nepal via EBC and fly back to India from Lukla if possible. We are not interested in trekking but would love to see Everest. Please could you advise us. Thank you.

Espoo
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: travel from Nepal to Tibet

I have not travelled from Nepal to Tibet myself, only visited Tibet 4 times from the China side. We did apply for a permit to cross from Tibet to Nepal in February 1985 but did not get it, the next applicants did and were the first to cross…

Anyway, do a search for travel agencies in Kathmandu who offer Tibet trips, which in this case means contacts with Lhasa based agencies which do the actual land package. Lhasa agency sends an invitation letter and Kathmandu agency gets the group visa (that is the only kind possible when visiting TAR from Nepal) from the Chinese embassy. This takes several days at least, which time you can use in Kathmandu or possibly travel to Pokhara or Chitwan maybe. As you are not pre-acclimatized it is a wise decision to fly to Lhasa and get some acclimatization before taking the car trip via EBC back to Nepal.

You will see Everest from the Tibetan side EBC if you take the car trip. If you want to see Everest from the South Nepal side, the Everest scenic flight is the best option, takes only a few hours. The views are totally different. If you want to get close to EBC from the south it would require several days of trekking, and getting a full view of the mountain would take at least 10 days of trekking if already somewhat acclimatized from the Tibetan side visit.

Lukla airfield in Nepal, near Everest, is used only for KTM-Lukla-KTM flights, you can not fly to India from there.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
271 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: travel from Nepal to Tibet

My husband and I are travelling from Kathmandu to Tibet in November. We arranged our trip through a tour operator here in the US that has an office in Kathmandu as well. We are flying in and out of Lhasa on China Air. The office in the US arranged a guide, driver and vehicle for just my husband and I. When we arrive in Kathmandu, we will take our passports to their office and they will arrange the travel permits and visa for Tibet. The company we used was Far and High Adventure Travel/Highland Asia Travel. They were very knowledgeable and helpful and I felt the price they quoted was very fair for what we are getting. I'm not affiliated with them in any way - just a happy customer so far. Here's an email to contact them if you are interested: sales@highlandasiatravel.com. Just to give you an idea of their service - we had purchased tickets on Qatar Air in and out of Kathmandu. When we were arranging the flight tickets to Tibet, Postak at Far And High figured out that if we changed our international tickets on Qatar Airways to fly into Kathmandu and out of Chengdu, China, we could save several hundred dollars each on the China Air tickets to Lhasa. Apparently China Air domestic flights are dirt cheap. Our Lhasa tickets went from $900 each (RT from KTM) to a bit over $400 each if we went to Chengdu to fly back to the US. He also helped us change the itinerary on our Qatar tickets for little or no fee.

Florida
Level Contributor
420 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: travel from Nepal to Tibet

Hi Espoo,

Thank you for being so helpful. If I decided to fly RT from Nepal to Lhasa, what airlines should I consider?

Espoo
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: travel from Nepal to Tibet

That's an easy one: all who fly that route: Air China (the only one…).

Florida
Level Contributor
420 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: travel from Nepal to Tibet

Good, that makes it easier for me! Have a good day!

17. Re: travel from Nepal to Tibet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2015, 12:15