We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kathmandu in December

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Topic
Kathmandu in December

We are 2 families with children in the age group of 7-12 and are considering to visit Kathmandu this December and we're wondering if that would be advisable? Any suggestions or information on the weather, load shedding situation and other important considerations would be most welcome

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
11,422 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kathmandu in December

There is no reason not visit Kathmandu in December.

It will be colder than your are probably accustomed too but this is easily dealt with using the right clothes. A couple of layers is usually enough in the daytime when the sun is shining but it does get cold in the evening and at night. This article gives a good overview of the weather:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293889-s208/Nepal:We…

More detailed and historic information is available on accuweather:

accuweather.com/en/…

Load shedding can be an issue in the dry season and I would take into consideration when choosing a hotel given you will have children with you. Many hotels have generators but it’s common for only some things to be powered eg. lights in bedrooms but not sockets. Hotel bedrooms are not always heated and if this is a preference then do check carefully with the hotel if booking in advance. There is plenty of hotel capacity on December because it's off-season and the best deals are available on walk-up but you might not want to wander around with children. If you are arriving late in the day it’s a good idea to book at least the first night in advance. This applies mainly to lower to middle budget hotels and higher end hotels are likely to have more cover from generators and heated bedrooms.

There is plenty for adults to see and do in Kathmandu and the valley and ideas can be found on the ‘Things to Do’ tab above and there is a suggested itinerary for a short trip (you don’t say how long the trip is) here:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293889-c182391/Nepal…

I’m not sure that Kathmandu has much to keep children interested.

If you state your interests and how long you have along with more focused questions will help people to give more detailed answers.

scoodly

Edited: 12 October 2014, 23:16
France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kathmandu in December

Hello,

Welcome to TripAdvisor forum for Nepal!

Well, only thing to consider is that December is a cold / winter month in Nepal so pack some warm cloths. The rest of the things are great. You will enjoy Kathmandu and surrounding.

Load shedding is regular in December but if you stay is modern hotels they have power / generator backup system in the night. That may help you.

Good Luck!

7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kathmandu in December

Hi I am also considering visiting Kathmandu for 18 days over Christmas/New Years with my boyfriend. We want to trek but also spend a few days in Kathmandu. WIll everything be deserted and shut down for the low season? I'm not looking for crazy parties but I'd like the holidays to have some sort of festive feel and lively atmosphere. Any advice?

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kathmandu in December

#RE: post 3

I replied to your original thread!

5. Re: Kathmandu in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2015, 12:17