We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bring in Tools and Seeds in my traveling luggage to Nepal

;uzern
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Bring in Tools and Seeds in my traveling luggage to Nepal

Hello, for my internship on a permaculture resort I would like to bring some tools with me like screw drivers, a saw, knifes, electro driller, spanner's....just basic tools. I didn't found any informations if it is allowed?

The other, I think even more delicate goods I would like to bring with me are different seeds, some of them are in original package, some would be self collected ones. Does anybody know if they check for stuff like this?

Thank you very much

cheers Adrian

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
428 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bring in Tools and Seeds in my traveling luggage to Nepal

Under items 17 and 18 on this page

…smetoolkit.org/nepal/…PSI

you'll see that importing of seeds etc. require a license and quarantine, to protect local agriculture from pests and invasive species.

However, the actual inspection of tourist visitors is pretty cursory.

;uzern
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bring in Tools and Seeds in my traveling luggage to Nepal

Thank you very much, I found now the Application form for importing seeds. But I am not sure if I be able to get all the required informations....

Does anybody has experience with importing seeds to nepal? or ordering seeds from a foreign country to Nepal?

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
80 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bring in Tools and Seeds in my traveling luggage to Nepal

I am interested to know more about the permaculture resort you mentioned above. Can you give me more details on it?

;uzern
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bring in Tools and Seeds in my traveling luggage to Nepal

Hey, the place is called Mango tree Resort http://mangotreeecoresort.wordpress.com/

I am also quit excited to visit this place because I am a student in organic farming.

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bring in Tools and Seeds in my traveling luggage to Nepal

what sort of seeds are you planning to import

all sorts of seeds are available in Kathmandu

and all sorts of tools are available there too which would be cheaper, easier and lighter than importing them

R K
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
116 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bring in Tools and Seeds in my traveling luggage to Nepal

If you cannot provide the appropriate documentation for foreign seeds and can't comply with Nepal's requirements for importation, don't bring them. Mangotree resort seems to be about responsible tourism, bringing in foreign seeds without complying with government guidelines would be the antithesis of responsible tourism. Bringing seeds anyway when you know you don't have documentation and hoping nobody checks is a lot of things (like the definition of illegal smuggling) but it's certainly not responsible tourism. I know you're trying to do the right thing, and I commend you for that. But if you don't have the documents you need, don't look for short cuts. Plus, Meconopsisgardner is right, plenty of seeds are already available in Nepal :)

;uzern
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bring in Tools and Seeds in my traveling luggage to Nepal

meconopsisgardner, can you name me some places in Kathmandu were I find seeds, I am mostly interested in medical herbs from ayurvedic.

and I know that I could buy tools in Nepal, but I got this stuff for free in Switzerland and its good old quality.

8. Re: Bring in Tools and Seeds in my traveling luggage to Nepal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2015, 12:21