We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sightseeing and wedding in Kathmandu

Melbourne, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
sightseeing and wedding in Kathmandu

Hi There,

My partner and I are travelling to Nepal over December and January for a trekking holiday which includes Everest Base Camp and the Cho La pass. We have two days both be before and after our tour where we would like to do some sight seeing around Kathmandu (We are staying at the Radisson). Included in our tour is a visit to Pashupatinath and Boudhanath but we would also like to visit some markets/bazaars.

We are also getting married at Thyangboche Monastry (during our trek) and we would love to be able to purchase some traditional wedding items (I already have a red dress), but some decorational bindis, traditional hat/vest for the groom and the red dust that is use to anoint the brides forehead, not to mention where I could get some henna done etc.

If some one could please advise us on any of this we would be most appreciative!

Libby and Gianni - Australia

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sightseeing and wedding in Kathmandu

Libby and Gianni

wow - what an idea - congratulations

from your description it sounds like

you want to do a hindu type wedding

but Tengboche monastery is in the Sherpa heartland

where people are predominantly Buddhist

and whose marriage traditions are a bit different -

no red dust on the forehead, no saris and henna etc

you could still pull this off

(if folks at the monastery don't object to it

I am sure some donation probably would take care of it)

but finding a hiindu priest at that altitude might be an issue

unless you take one along from the low lands

as for wedding items, henna etc

you can get all of that done in ktm

I will follow up with pm to see if I can help you get this sorted out

since your forum inquiry is more than the regular sort here like

"where can I rent sleeping bag for a dollar" etc haha

all the best

AJ

Edited: 18 October 2014, 12:38
2. Re: sightseeing and wedding in Kathmandu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 October 2014, 17:08
Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: sightseeing and wedding in Kathmandu

Hi Libby & Gianni, just to reiterate what neupaneaj said, Tengboche Monastery will definitely not be doing a Hindu wedding for you. I am from the area, and presumably you have already talked to them? If you plan to just show up and get married, this is generally not what happens, as Tibetan/Sherpa weddings do not generally occur at monasteries and they do not give out marriage licenses. Unless you have made previous plans, I have a feeling you will be turned away. If it is acceptable for you and your partner to get married there, the wedding will be a Tibetan/Sherpa wedding, which is vastly different from Hindu weddings and your expectations (bindi, hat/vest and sindoor (red dust) and henna). As a Buddhist monastery, if you are planning to go according to what is custom in the area, perhaps you should rethink your plans, and research a little bit about the Sherpa people and their culture, and what is typical of a Buddhist wedding.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
96 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sightseeing and wedding in Kathmandu

Dear Libby and Gianni

Being Nepalese its our pleasure to read about your wedding plans in Nepal - Congratulation.

If you want to do your wedding function accordingly with Hindu tradition and culture - its better you rethink your place of wedding as mentioned by neupaneaj and pyangjin, In Tengboche Monastery better you go for Tibetan Buddhist tradition of wedding (Himalayas is about Tibetan Buddhism).

If you want to rethink about the site of your wedding function and you have time you can choose any Hindu temples (Temple of Gujeshwori - few minutes walk from temple Pashupatinath is taken as one of the best temple to perform marriage accordingly with Hindu tradition and people believe that wedding ceremony done in Gujeshwori temple will sticks for lifetime).

You guys can visit Ason (well known local market) to buy your stuffs regarding marriage like garland of Dubo grass (Cynodon dactylon (L.) Pers) - used mostly in marriage , Vermilion (Sindhoor- brides hair parting line to be filled by groom),Nepalese hat (Dhaka topi - Palpali Dhaka topi the best one), Grooms dress Nepali Daura Suruwal and rest of all the things. You can go nearby beauty parlor to get done your henna or if you visit Thamel you might find two sisters - famous for henna things who are doing henna things from several years adopting as a career and roaming the street of Thamel . You can find them around the street of Hot Bread or Kathamndu Guest House or around.

Ason market is a couple of walk from Ratnapark and Thamel and is the most busiest local market for local vendors and customer based on Kathmandu valley to buy necessary things for festivals, marriage and so on. Likewise Ason market - Mangal Bazzar is another famous local market in Patan or Lalitpur district.

You can find numbers of Hindu Priest (Brahman) in temple premise to perform your marriage rituals (Dakshina - wage of Priest for ritual is kinda mandatory) or if you want confirm Brahman you can ping me a message - I also belongs to a Brahman family and my father is a hindu priest.

To know the values of "Dubo grass garland" in marriage you can go through this link

…blogspot.com/2013/12/dubo-grass-garland.html

Wish you a good luck.

Sagar Subedi

5. Re: sightseeing and wedding in Kathmandu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2015, 12:15