We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ruifang to Hualien to Taipei

Philippines
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Ruifang to Hualien to Taipei

Good day everyone,

□□□□□

I will be heading to Hualien on a Thursday from Ruifang. I checked out the TRA schedule online and found this in my preferrred time:

Train Type / Train Code / Via / Origin-Dest / Departure / Arrival / Estimated Time / Remarks / Fare

undefined / 246 / - / Shulin→Hualien / 19:18 / 21:44 / 02h 26m / Runs Daily / $ 364

Q: Is this a commuter train that does not need reservations?

□□□□□

I can split my travel from Ruifang to Hualien by taking a stop at Yilan.

Ruifang > Yilan

Train Type / Train Code / Via / Origin-Dest / Departure / Arrival / Estimated Time / Remarks / Fare

Local Train / 4224 / - / Shulin→Yilan / 18:13 / 19:44 / 01h 31m / Runs Daily / $ 91

Yilan>Hualien

Puyuma / 248 / - / Shulin→Hualien / 20:35 / 21:34 / 00h 59m / Runs Daily / $ 223 / Booking

Q: Local train means no reservation, right? And is it really hard to book tickets for Puyuma, Tze-Chiang Limited, and Taroko Express? Does it really get sold out immediately after release 2 weeks prior the trip?

□□□□□

Thank you!

Mon

2 replies to this topic
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Taiwan, Taipei, Taichung
Level Contributor
9,634 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ruifang to Hualien to Taipei

Local (DRC—Diesel Rail Car) railway trains codes have 4 digits, stop at every station along its route and are slow. They are without seat numbers and there is no advance booking of tickets. It is free seating.

Click on the train class/code in the train schedule to see the names of the station stops along the train route where boarding and alighting are allowed.

Puyuma, Tze-Chiang Limited, and Taroko Express are popular with commuters and sell out fast when available for booking.

Philippines
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ruifang to Hualien to Taipei

Thank you for the clarification, TaiwanDIY!

Reply to: Ruifang to Hualien to Taipei
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted