We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driver/guide who speaks English at the airport

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
155 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Driver/guide who speaks English at the airport

We have an 8,5 hour stopover in Taipei in July, arriving at 3pm and flying out around 11.30. We are really keen to leave the airport and have a bit of a look around, but we really want to be back with loads of time to spare (by around 8pm) and we are not confident to venture out without a guide. We also don't want to clear customs and find that we can't get a driver, who would need to be able to speak English. How easy is it to find a driver who speaks English on our arrival at that time in the afternoon (I am imagining around 4pm by the time we clear customs)? Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Taipei
Taipei
Taiwan
7 replies to this topic
United States
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Driver/guide who speaks English at the airport

Your schedule means you'll be hitting traffic rush hour when you depart the airport.

So plan for an hour driving to a location in Taipei.

What do you want to see?

Totally it gives you about two hours of free time before driving back to the airport.

Don't really need a guide. Just take a taxi into town, see the predetermined site or two, maybe get a bite and then take a taxi back to airport.

Can also take airport express MRT (subway) to Taipei main train station.

Mentioned in this post
Taipei
Taipei
Taiwan
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
155 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driver/guide who speaks English at the airport

Thanks for your reply. If you don't mind me asking another question, are there any towns/sights close to the airport? We are not necessarily needing to go into the city - a local town with a few shops where the boys could see what a town in Taiwan looks like would be fine. It's really just to get out of the airport, and our boys are keen to see something outside the airport. A small market would be great, or a temple or park, even a drive through a residential area or past a local school; it does not need to be the biggest or most well known. Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
3. Re: Driver/guide who speaks English at the airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 June 2018, 00:35

Melbourne
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driver/guide who speaks English at the airport

Hi again, the town where the international airport is is called Taoyuan which is a sizeable town one hour out of Taipei and very close to the airport. I don't know if Charlce would want to come all that way but you could write to him and ask him. I have stayed in Taoyuan one night and it appears like quite a large place but you could go on google maps and check it out. As far as a market is concerned I can't say but google will tel you. Sorry I can't give you any more info than that but happy to try and answer any more questions

Regards

Bill

Mentioned in this post
Taoyuan
Taoyuan
Taiwan
Taipei
Taipei
Taiwan
United States
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Driver/guide who speaks English at the airport

How old are your boys? Doesn't really matter but you could take a taxi to Ximenting and get a very interesting view of a small pedestrian area in Taiwan. Teens or so would love it as well as interesting for adults.

Then 5 minutes taxi to Longshan Temple if time, then taxi back to airport.

Nothing really to see near the airport or towns around the airport for a first-time visitor or even a second time visitor. Mostly just industrial or Farms.

Edited: 09 June 2018, 21:36
Mentioned in this post
Longshan Temple
Longshan Temple
6,233 Reviews
Wanhua, Taipei
Singapore, null...
Level Contributor
106 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driver/guide who speaks English at the airport

U can take the MRT or HSR to Taipei itself. Around 50min . At the Taipei Airport terminal get out and walk and shop around. Try their local food

Mentioned in this post
Taipei
Taipei
Taiwan
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driver/guide who speaks English at the airport

In concern of your time, I would suggest you visit Mitsui outlet park at Linkou. You can have a dinner and shopping there. Just take the commuter Airport MRT. Here is the guide for it: https:/…

Mentioned in this post
Mitsui
Mitsui
154 Reviews
Zhongshan District, Taipei
Reply to: Driver/guide who speaks English at the airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted