We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day train trip from Taipei, Juifen, shifen and pingxi

Which Taipei hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
7 posts
Save Topic
One day train trip from Taipei, Juifen, shifen and pingxi

Hello,

I am planning one day train trip for my family 10 persons in either 25 Nov or 26 Nov.

I have following questions. please help.

1. What is TR pass and Easy card in chinese, what is the different?

2. Do you think it is possible to get 10 train tickets on same day.

is that true, I can not buy 10 tickets thru internet?

3. if I have to buy the ticket as follows:

- Taipei to Bado(八堵) - Bado to Ruifang - Pingxi (one day pass).

so I can take train from Taipei to Bado then change train to Pingxi directly without alighting at Ruifang station, correct?

4. What is your opinion, should I go pingxi on Friday (25) or Saturday (26)?

5. I also wanted to go Juifen,How?

6. Is Pingxi line start from 三貂嶺? but Pingxi one day pass cover from station Ruifang to 菁桐, is that correct?

7. In fact i am thinking to go 北海岸 -野柳地質公園, how to go there, by train, by bus or MRT?

Thanks in advance

Wendy

Singapore

Hualien, Taiwan
Level Contributor
651 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: One day train trip from Taipei, Juifen, shifen and pingxi

1. I don’t think TR Pass has a Chinese name for it, it has two different types: Students and General. They are special discount tickets (much like the JR-pass in Japan or K-pass in South Korea) that grant you unlimited ride of TRA trains within valid date. According to you plan, you need none of those.

Easycard is the smart card system (e-money) that can be used in various transport system, it is called 悠遊卡 in Chinese. You can purchase it at any MRT station. Right now it can be used on the MRT, Taipei City bus, Xinbei City Bus, Keelung City Bus, some of the King Buses routes, Buses in Ilan, Taoyuan, Hsinchu, Miaoli, Taichung, Part of the TRA stations, and doing payments in 7-11 and family mart convenient stores (I never tried Hi-life and OK mart, but I think it’s also workable).

2. We usually do 10 or more tickets through a special order called “group ticket ordering”, but that’s not so convenient for non-Taiwanese to do so unless you can find someone in Taiwan to pay and take the ticket for you. You can still order your ticket from the internet by taking two passport numbers and break up your tickets into a group of 6 and 4. It’s because for one passport number it can only reserve a maximum number of 6 tickets. You won’t be able to order it until Nov.11

If you are not going to assign seated tickets, you don’t have to do the pre-ordering, just head to the station and buy your tickets at spot.

3.Correct. But make sure you cover up the fare between Badu and Ruifang, and don’t forget to purchase the Pingxi one day pass prior your boarding (you can purchase it in Badu or Taipei).

4.Friday would be relatively less crowded, so go on Friday.

5.Alight at Ruifang and transfer though buses to Jiufen.

6.Correct.

7.Bus is the only public transport method you can choose. Go to the King bus terminal at Taipei West Station A to take the 台北-金青 (#1815) route, alight at 野柳.

Edited: 29 October 2011, 15:32
Singapore, Singapore
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: One day train trip from Taipei, Juifen, shifen and pingxi

Thanks for much!!

Could you please also tell me the bus nos to take from Ruifang to 九份老街, do I take the same bus back from 九份老街to Ruifang.

Do you think that it is a ideal to go Juifen on my return trip from Pingxi?

How to travel from Yehilu to 新北投?

Thanks again

Hualien, Taiwan
Level Contributor
651 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: One day train trip from Taipei, Juifen, shifen and pingxi

Yes you can take the same bus back to Ruifang. But you can actually take it all the way back to Taipei. There are several types of buses going in Jiufen area, their destinations varies and includes 瑞芳 基隆 台北 侯硐 etc.....

You can also take the bus from Taipei all the way to Jiufen without transfering.

I would suggest to go Pingxi first, as in the afternoon it's very easy to get rains.

From Yehilu to 新北投, a cab should always be the fastest option, but it will be costly. Take the same bus back to Taipei, and transfer to MRT heading 北投, alight at 北投 and take the MRT to 新北投. This would be the fastest way.

Or if you want to explore the north coast, take buses from Yehliu to 淡水, than change MRT there to 新北投 will also do the trick.

Singapore, Singapore
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: One day train trip from Taipei, Juifen, shifen and pingxi

Thanks for giving me some ideals. It is good for my planning and will consider your suggestion.

One more question, is there any time restriction? for example i buy a train ticket from Taipei to Bado, can I go Bado by train anytime of the day?

Sorry I have never travel by train before.

Cheers

Hualien, Taiwan
Level Contributor
651 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: One day train trip from Taipei, Juifen, shifen and pingxi

To answer your question: positive, but not always. It is determined by three factors: the class of the ticket, whether it is reserved seat or unreserved and the section you are travelling.

First, there are four classes of trains within TRA’s services, they are 自強 (Tze-Chiang Express), 莒光 (Chu-Kuang Express), 復興 (Fu-Hsing Express) and 區間 (Local). The TZ express is the most costly and generally the fastest train of all, than CK, than FH and Local (FH and Local shares the same ticket price). All TZ, CK and FH are reserved seat trains, Locals are unreserved train. By reserved it does not mean you can’t take the train without a reserved seat ticket, you can still go on but you just don’t have a seat.

There are two ways to pay your ticket: If you buy from the counter, on the net or from the ticket machine, you will receive a paper ticket. If you use easycard as a payment method (touch the sensor while you entering a station with your card, like you do in MRT), you will not have an actual ticket. A paper ticket, no matter reserved or unreserved, can never travel on any train that has a higher class than what ticket is showing. Let’s say if you bought a CK class ticket, you can travel on any CK, FH and Local trains, but not TZ trains. When using easycard, however, there will be no restriction on which class of the train you are travelling, but it will always be unreserved, and it can only be used within a limited section: HsinchuKeelung – Ruifang.

Your paper ticket is only valid for the date that shows on your ticket. If you miss the reserved train, you can take the next one (as long as it’s still the same day), but you will lose your seat.

There are some trains that forbid unreserved passengers to get on: the tourist trains, group trains, and Taroko Express (a special TZ class train). So easycard holder cannot take these trains as well.

In your case, from Taipei to Badu, you can buy a reserved seat ticket to guarantee yourself a seat, or use Easycard or unreserved ticket to bet on your luck. Once you reach Badu, go out to the counter and purchase a Pingxi one day pass and an unreserved ticket from Badu to Ruifang (local class). Get in with your Badu-Ruifang ticket, hop on Pingxi line trains (don’t take other trains), and sit still until you reach Pingxi. When the conductor approaches to do a ticket check, just show him both tickets.

Singapore City...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: One day train trip from Taipei, Juifen, shifen and pingxi

Hi, I intended to go to Jiufen and Shifen from Taipei main station, do I have to buy the to and back tickets from Taipei to Ruifang? How about the branch lines tickets from Ruifang to Shifen?

Also, what is the timing of the trains?

Thanks

Hualien, Taiwan
Level Contributor
651 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: One day train trip from Taipei, Juifen, shifen and pingxi

Yes if you want to take the train back to Taipei, you receive 10% discount for round trip ticket.

For train schedule check here: http://twtraffic.tra.gov.tw/twrail/English/

8. Re: One day train trip from Taipei, Juifen, shifen and pingxi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2013, 14:16