We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Hualien on day 1

Which Taipei hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Travel to Hualien on day 1

Hi,

Need some advice from the experts here.

We will be arriving around 6 am at Taoyuan Airport. If we want to transfer to Taipei Railway Station to board the express train, Shulin to Hualien, will we be on time for Tze Chiang Taroko train #206 at 7.22 am? Or should we book the next Tze Chiang Taroko train #218 at 10.50 am?

If both Taroko trains are not available, what is our next alternative train to book to travel to Hualien? We are travelling with elderly and children.

Will there be van transfer or coach transfer to the Railway Station readily available at that early hours?

TIA

Taipei Taiwan
Destination Expert
for Taiwan, Taipei
Level Contributor
7,892 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Hualien on day 1

I think the 7.22 should be fine. You can take the U-bus to the HSR station then to TMS. You should have time to get breakfast etc at the TMS before boarding the train for Hualien. …tra.gov.tw/twrail/English/e_index.aspx

Tze-Chiang Limited Express (Regular train but fast )

208 - Shulin→Taitung 08:00 10:22 02h 22m $ 440

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Hualien on day 1

Earliest HSR train departs Taoyuan at 7:09 and arrives at Taipei at 7:30. Therefore you cannot catch the 7:20 train (Not 7:22)

There are a number of T.C Express trains departs from Taipei to Hualien in the morning.

208 Taipei 08:00 Hualien 10:22

274 Taipei 08:20 Hualien 10:50

214 Taipei 08:50 Hualien 11:46

278 Taipei 09:20 Hualien 11:30 (Taroko Express)

216 Taipei 10:00 Hualien 12:33

Therefore you need not worry of not getting tickets on Taroko Express.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
80 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Hualien on day 1

Hi, I've reached Taipei at such timings before (early in the morning). You will probably not experience much traffic and the drive from Taoyuan international airport to central Taipei is likely to be very smooth.

However, I would advise against getting the early taroko trains. Firstly, you seem like you're travelling with a largish group, and you have to factor in issues like toilet breaks, people wandering around etc. Better to build in some time so that everyone doesn't feel rushed.

Secondly, if you're purchasing the TRA tickets online, you will need to collect them from Taipei Main station before the departure. I was informed by many reputable sources (Taipei frens, hotel concierge, etc) that at the time you collect the train tickets, if you want to change to an earlier train (AND if there are seats still available on that earlier train), you can do so. So in this case, better to book a later and safer train timing then an early one which everyone in your party may have to rush for.

I booked the 10.30 am train to Hualien when I went in March 2013 and this was when my flight arrived at 5.30 am at Taoyuan. We met up with a friend for breakfast at the taipei main station area (Yamakazi bakery opens early and has seats), then went off to take the train.

Do note that most breakfast places at Taipei Main Station (same flr as ticket counters and 2nd flr) are not open before 9 am, so you might want to prepare some food for kids in case they get hungry. I remember there being a fast food outlet at Taipei Main Station but there are no seats, purely a takeaway place.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Hualien on day 1

On 24 March 2013, Scoot TZ 202 from Singapore landed at Taoyuen airport at 0545 hrs. On landing, we immediately walked to Immigration counters. It was my 2nd visit so I was familiar with layout of airport. As I had said in answer to another forum. The queue was like a snake with 4 loops of about 400 tourists. 3 - 4 planes had landed about same time. Many tourists were from China. Only 5 - 6 counters were opened.

We managed to clear immigration and collected luggages by 0720 hrs. If you want to buy coach tickets to Taipei main station, journey will take 50 minutes if there is no jam. Even if you arrange for private car, you will not be able to catch 0720 hrs train to Hualien. When you reach Taipei HSR counter to collect tickets, you may need to queue at least 10 minutes or more. Then you have to find HSR gates at basement 1. It is safer to book a later train.

There are snack shops at Taipei Main station offering take aways. Near HSR platforms is a small snack shop selling buns, instant noodles, coffee and tea. You can buy food and eat at waiting area with chairs near gates. When it is time to board train, announcement will be made through loud speakers. Then you are allowed to go down to platforms at basement 2.

KL Malaysia
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to Hualien on day 1

Hi. I will be following your plan. Arrival in Taipei approx 6.00 am will use HSR to TMS then get

tickets via Tarako Express at 10.50 am to reach Huelien. Just let me known whether your plan

works as we only worry upon arrival immigration will take a long time. Thanks

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to Hualien on day 1

Hi all,

Thanks for the valuable advice and I will definitely be booking a later train to play safe.

Grace, 10.50 train should be quite okay for a 6 am arrival from the above postings. :)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel to Hualien on day 1

My mistake in typing HSR counters. It should be TRA counters at ground floor of Taipei Main Station.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel to Hualien on day 1

If I need to deposit the biggest luggage (27 inch) at the Left Baggage Counter at the Taipei Main Station area, how much time should I estimate to spend doing this to/fro Taipei Main Station where I alight from the shuttle bus?

9. Re: Travel to Hualien on day 1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2014, 12:15