We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

40 Day Thailand Itinery

Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
40 Day Thailand Itinery

Hello! I'm traveling to Thailand for 40 days, starting off in Bangkok and traveling throughout from there. I'd like to visit both North and Southern Thailand, any suggestions of if I should start from the North or South?

Also does anyone think it would be possible to visit islands on both the East and West Coast?

10 replies to this topic
stockport
Level Contributor
2,628 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: 40 Day Thailand Itinery

Do you want beaches first or last? That should answer your first question

Yes it would be possible to visit both coast

Rawai, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
31 reviews
2. Re: 40 Day Thailand Itinery

The north is, generally, about activity and sightseeing. The south more of a relaxing, kick-yer-shoes-off place. I’d be planning the south, therefore, at the end of your visit.

Karachi, Pakistan
Level Contributor
266 posts
20 reviews
3. Re: 40 Day Thailand Itinery

Seems you are going on my "Dream Vacation Plan" . . . . (feeling jealous)

So I am sharing it with you . . . .

1. Arrival at Bangkok

Spend a day or 2 get familiar with Thai feel.

2. Take a night coach train to Chiang Mai. The train's arrival in Chiang Mai early morning is fascinating. (atleast for me).

Spend 3-4 days in Chiang Mai, specially Sat & Sun.

3. Then take a bus or taxi to Pai. The road trip is very scenic.

Spend a day or 2 in Pai.

4. Then take a bus or taxi to Mae Hong Son Town. Again the road trip is very scenic, and continuation of the loop.

Spend a day or 2 in the town and 3-4 days in Suburbs, specially the "Fern Resort".

5. Then take Bangkok Airways from MHS to Bangkok. Take rest day if you want to.

6. Then take a bus or train to Hua Hin. Spend 2-3 days there.

7. Then, if you wish, you can go to Ko Chang or Ko Phayam, off the west coast of Thailand (Province Ranong). Ko Phayam is known is as Ko h Samui of 70s. It doesn't have much facilities, but it gives you a feeling of untapped nature.

8. Then, from Ranong, take a bus to Krabi, and further to Aonang. (this will be a long transfer).

Spend 3-4 days in Aonang.

9. Then take a ferry to Phuket. Phuket is the biggest island of Thailand, and you can spend as many days as you want. Every coastal area of Phuket has a different look, feel and vibe.

However, before going to Phuket, you can make trips to further southern islands, Koh Lanta & Koh Lipe. 2 days each at both islands are enough. (these islands are inaccessible in summers)

10. From Phuket, you can take a plane to Koh Samui if it is in your budget, otherwise you can take a Bus+Ferry option, which although is cheap, but hectic.

11. From Koh Samui, you can catch a ferry to Koh Phangan (for full moon party) and Koh Tao (for snorkeling)

Manage your time (7 days I would suggest) between these KS, KP, & KT as per your liking and mood.

12. from Koh Samui, take a flight (expensive + quick) to Bangkok, or by ferry+bus (cheap but hectic).

13. Then from Bangkok, you can visit Kanchanaburi, which is famous for waterfalls and historic places. 2-3 days are enough for Kanchanaburi.

14. And in the last, explore and shop in Bangkok.

Regards,

Nasir

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
23,339 posts
177 reviews
4. Re: 40 Day Thailand Itinery

HI Evie

Wonderful that you have such a long time to explore many places in Thailand. Hopefully you’ve got the visa issue sorted out to allow you to do this. You haven’t mentioned which country you’re from.

toronto
Level Contributor
845 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: 40 Day Thailand Itinery

My advice is more general - don't pre-book with a set itinerary in mind. 40 days is a generous amount of time and it allows you to wing it. Have a rough idea of where you want to go but just move on to the next place when you are ready. Don't feel you have to see everything. Maybe you have 5-6 places on your "for sure" list and you can add to that as you go.

Less is more......

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
680 posts
6. Re: 40 Day Thailand Itinery

Hi,

When are you planning to visit Thailand? The rainy season has

set in here in Thailand by now. October should be best avoided.

Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: 40 Day Thailand Itinery

Hey everyone, thanks for all the helpful suggestions! I'm from Australia and already sorted out a 60 day visa. I'm visiting end of June, hopefully the rain won't be too bothersome.

north vancouer
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: 40 Day Thailand Itinery

What did you end up doing ?

Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: 40 Day Thailand Itinery

Hey thanks for asking ^_^

I booked my first night in Bangkok and ended up just winging it haha. I stayed in Bangkok for almost a week, went to Chiang Mai, then Pai. Flew Koh Samui and took the ferry to Koh Phangan, then Koh Tao, then Koh Phangan again. Stayed in Krabi, Koh Phi Phi, Ao Nang and back to Bangkok. Probaby could have spent a few months there, Thailand was absolutely amazing!

north vancouer
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: 40 Day Thailand Itinery

That’s great to hear how did you find PHI phi ? We went years and years ago they hear it can be pretty busy and overcrowded it high season

Reply to: 40 Day Thailand Itinery
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted