We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area to stay and train Muay Thai

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
Best area to stay and train Muay Thai

I'm planning a trip for either November , December , or January . I plan on training and staying at a camp for a month but I want to be in an area where me and my girlfriend can enjoy ourselves when I'm not in the gym . I've looked into Bangkok , Chiang Mai , Khao Lak , Pai , and Koh Samui but I can't make up my mind . Any insight would be appreciated .

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Pai
Pai
Mae Hong Son Province, Thailand
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
463 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
6 replies to this topic
Rawai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,736 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best area to stay and train Muay Thai

The only question you need to ask yourself is, “Do we want city, country, peace or party?” Decide which, then pick your place accordingly.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,391 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best area to stay and train Muay Thai

There are two Muay Thai camps in Khao Lak

Rawai Muay Thai - see http://www.rawaimuaythai.com/

and

Combat 360X - see https://www.combat360x.com/

They are fairly near to each other and on the inland side of the highway in Khuk Khak and upwards of 2km down to the Beautiful Khuk Khak Beach. There are a few local restaurants nearby to each and the main towns of Bang Niang and Bang La On which have most restaurants, bars and shops are about 10 minutes by local taxi (or scooter with the appropriate full home licence for a motor bike and IDP). Khao Lak is very laid back and not a party town but here is an idea of the evening entertainment https:/…Evening.Entertainment.html

Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Rawai Muay Thai
Rawai Muay Thai
80 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Khuk Khak
Khuk Khak
Khao Lak, Thailand
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
17,575 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best area to stay and train Muay Thai

December-January is high season for hotel prices and availability. If you pay for your own rooms don't wait to the last minute to book a room. Greatest demand probably Christmas - New Years holiday period.

If you are serious about your training maybe choose the trainer with the best results. Bangkok is a big city with lots to see and do. Also cheap for local transportation.

Up to you where you choose to visit. Good reasoning in post one.

* If you intend to visit Thailand for a month but plan on entering with the free 30 day Visa Exemption stamp you get at the airport - know that this means 30 days or less! If a "month visit" means over 30 days you may have to adjust your time in Thailand or apply for Tourist Visa ahead of time.

For ordinary tourists usually Bangkok, Chiang Mai - Chiang Rai area and a beach location gives you a little bit of everything. At least schedule a final night in Bangkok before flying home. If you try to make a last minute connection for your ride home that connecting flight could be cancelled for maintenance or some other problem. (Replacing a flight home can be expensive!)

Up to you.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Visa Hotel
Visa Hotel
89 Reviews
Hua Hin, Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Rai
Chiang Rai
Chiang Rai Province, Thailand
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
10,036 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best area to stay and train Muay Thai

Does the girlfriend have any ideas on what she is going to do while you are busy in the gym? A month of days full of absolute boredom might have consequences.

You can forget about enjoying time on the beach without being away from the gym at least for a full day if you do not choose Khao Lak or Koh Samui.

Would the gym in Chiang Mai be in the city or in some rural part of the province? In the city it is easy to get spontaneously around without renting a vehicle, less so elsewhere.

Are you planning to rent a vehicle for your stay? A scooter is a poor choice if you are not licensed and experienced motorbike riders. In my opinion only Bangkok and Chiang Mai city offer widely available and inexpensive public transportation options.

Go in November if you want to avoid the absolute peak tourist season with highest prices of accommodation.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
463 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Level Contributor
44 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best area to stay and train Muay Thai

Trained quite a bit at a gym called Santai, about 30mins outside Chiang Mai. Laid back and great training, a good mix of farang and locals. Relatively cheap too.

Can also recommend Koh Phangan Muay Thai & Fitness Gym, had a great month there.

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Phangan Beach Resort
Phangan Beach Resort
510 Reviews
Ko Pha Ngan, Thailand
Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,054 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best area to stay and train Muay Thai

plenty of gyms/training camps in Phuket and if u find the right one they can get ya a Non O ed visa

note its high season ( and peak season >>Dec 20-Jan 5th) so high prices on rooms..try Nov instead..

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Reply to: Best area to stay and train Muay Thai
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted