We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visiting Thailand

New York City, New...
4 posts
Save Topic
First time visiting Thailand

Hello everyone! I've posted on this topic before but since then I received a lot of valuable feedback and have changed the original plans. I'd like to post what my plan is here and see if anyone can give me some suggestions or correct me if I misunderstood something.

I plan on leaving from NY to Thailand in Mid/Late November. I am planning for about 15-16 days there. As of right now I'd like to split my time among Koh Chang, Koh Mak, (Possibly) Koh Kood, and end in Bangkok for a few nights before flying back. My understanding is that I could either: A. Fly from NY-BKK, then fly from BKK to Trat for Koh Chang and take a boat to the other islands. Or B. Get a direct flight from NY-Trat. I would like to avoid bus/train/car if possible and just fly/boat. Ideally I'm looking for some nice clear water, and beautiful beaches while also getting a feel for the culture. Any tips, suggestions, or comments would be great especially if you've been to any of these places before and can recommend activities or things to do. Thank you in advance to anyone taking the time to answer!

Mentioned in this post
Koh Chang Resort
Koh Chang Resort
133 Reviews
Ko Chang, Thailand
Koh Mak Resort
Koh Mak Resort
202 Reviews
Ko Mak, Thailand
Koh Kood Beach Resort
Koh Kood Beach Resort
253 Reviews
Ko Kut, Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Bangkok Intl Airport
Bangkok Intl Airport
Bangkok, Thailand
2 replies to this topic
Bastar, India
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First time visiting Thailand

There's just one option

NY -Bkk- Trat

There's no direct line NY to Trat.

You could also rent driver to drive you as soonas you land inBkk to pier near Trat and from there to Koh Chang.

It takes ~ 4h ride to get there from Bkk. Give or take same as taking flight Bkk to Trat.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok Intl Airport
Bangkok Intl Airport
Bangkok, Thailand
Koh Chang Resort
Koh Chang Resort
133 Reviews
Ko Chang, Thailand
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,569 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time visiting Thailand

Direct flight to Trat, I very much doubt it. Fly to BKK and then arrange flight from there. Flights to Trat are quite expensive.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok Intl Airport
Bangkok Intl Airport
Bangkok, Thailand
Reply to: First time visiting Thailand
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted