We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Domestic flights require credit card at check in?

Level Contributor
194 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Domestic flights require credit card at check in?

Quick question guys and gals :)

Seemingly the credit/debit card holder is required to show the credit card at check in that was used to make the booking?

My debit card however does not contain my name or any name for that matter! Would that be an issue? Iam guessing it should be no big deal as the flights are already paid in full and it can be confirmed that the card number / security number all match up etc

Others suggest the airlines strictly enforce this so just wanna be sure iam not gonna run in to any issues. Thanks

13 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,745 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Domestic flights require credit card at check in?

I have never been asked to show my credit card. I have booked flights and accommodation for family and they also have never been asked.

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
3,061 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Domestic flights require credit card at check in?

"Others suggest the airlines strictly enforce this" - 12 trips to Thailand using various international and domestic carriers and never been asked to show credit card.

Mentioned in this post
Level Contributor
194 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Domestic flights require credit card at check in?

Good to know. Thanks

Level Contributor
5,964 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Domestic flights require credit card at check in?

Only airline I've been asked to show my booking CC/Debit card was Bangkok airways on a flight from BKK to Koh Samui, they were checking everyone's from what i gathered and my friends who couldn't produce it were required to book a new ticket to be allowed to fly.

They did get refunded the amount of the old booking once they got home and were able to send them a copy of there card.

But, in saying the above, I've taken hundreds of flights in Thailand and that's the only time I've been asked. I've also taken many other Bangkok air flights and haven't been asked either.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Bangkok Intl Airport
Bangkok Intl Airport
Bangkok, Thailand
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
467 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,097 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Domestic flights require credit card at check in?

never been asked ,in fact even when i book a flight for my gf ( domestic and International) and she travels alone has she been asked..

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,380 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Domestic flights require credit card at check in?

Only once been asked and that was a number of years ago. However, it is usually a clause in the ticket purchase so I ensure I carry the card with me for checkin just in case.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
7,305 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Domestic flights require credit card at check in?

Have had my card checked and had to buy a replacement once when I left the card at home. So yes they do check from time to time.

Normally they enter the card number and the computer checks for match, the check in agent can not see the card number you originally used.

Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
8,114 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Domestic flights require credit card at check in?

OK, I'm board, the dog's still sleeping.....................also never been asked.

Maybe they state that, so there's not hold up in the line when checking in with all that excess baggage......you can't say, "I don't have any money, you can't charge me"

They are thinking ahead of themselves.......LOL

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Domestic flights require credit card at check in?

Hi

Check in on-line for domestic flights

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
22,905 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Domestic flights require credit card at check in?

Oh dear, so you’re “board”, Loki. No doubt you feel quite flat.

Reply to: Domestic flights require credit card at check in?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted