We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Thailand for 4 Weeks

12 posts
Save Topic
Solo Thailand for 4 Weeks

Hey Guys!

I am heading out to Thailand on the 21 June (arriving into Bangkok the day after on the 22nd). I have arranged an internal flight straight from Bangkok to Chiang Mai, and arranged a hotel for the first two nights (Zensala Riverpark Resort) so I have somewhere booked to settled in the first few days.

After that I am looking for some suggestions on a good itinerary for the 4 weeks, capturing the best of Thailand. I would definitely like to visit some of the beaches, but more for seeing them with the odd few days of relaxing there. At the same time I really want to experience the culture, see the sights.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Regards,

Luke

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Zensala Riverpark Resort
Zensala Riverpark Resort
169 Reviews
Chiang Mai, Thailand
6 replies to this topic
Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
17,377 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo Thailand for 4 Weeks

Don't blow off Bangkok. With 4 weeks you should be able to reserve a few days for there. Bangkok is not all nightlife and shopping. "Things To Do" choices show at the top of each forum. Navigate to the particular city or beach area and see what is available. At least finish up in Bangkok for a few days and not try to arrive on a last minute flight. A last minute flight can be cancelled because of mechanical or weather issues. Replacing a flight home or other international flight can be very expensive.

Bangkok is not just nightlife and shopping!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g293…

Bangkok, beach area, Chiang Mai-Chiang Rai area usually does it for many people.

Read up on how to handle your currency conversion, read up on scams to avoid, always know how to get from airport to hotel ahead of time.

There are shared tours you can sign up for in person. If your hotel does not have a tour desk local travel agencies in major cities usually have a list of popular destinations to visit.

Sample:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g293…

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g297…

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g209…

Good luck.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Rai
Chiang Rai
Chiang Rai Province, Thailand
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo Thailand for 4 Weeks

Go to Travelfish.org for some more research to see which places are likely to suit your interests. That will help you plan an itinerary. We all have different personal preferences, so it's too broad a question to ask us to plan an itinerary for you.

When you've an idea of a provisional one, repost with more specific questions and members will be happy to comment and make further suggestions.

12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo Thailand for 4 Weeks

Thank you guys for the suggestions.

I have created a rough itinerary below:

21st June Thursday UK

22nd June Friday Bangkok/Chiang Mai

23rd June Saturday Chiang Mai

24th June Sunday Chiang Mai

25th June Monday Chiang Mai (day one of elephant sanctuary)

26th June Tuesday Chiang Mai (day two of elephant sanctuary)

27th June Wednesday Pai

28th June Thursday Pai

29th June Friday Pai

30th June Saturday Chiang Mai

1st July Sunday Chiang Rai

2nd July Monday Chiang Rai/Chiang Mai

3rd July Tuesday Bangkok

4th July Wednesday Bangkok

5th July Thursday Krabi

6th July Friday Krabi

7th July Saturday Khao Sok National Park (3-4 night tour)

8th July Sunday Khao Sok National Park

9th July Monday Khao Sok National Park

10th July Tuesday Koh Phangan

11th July Wednesday Koh Phangan

12th July Thursday Koh Tao

13th July Friday Koh Tao  

14th July Saturday Koh Samui

15th July Sunday Koh Samui

16th July Monday Buffer 

17th July Tuesday Buffer

18th July Wednesday Buffer

19th July Thursday Buffer

20th July Friday Bangkok

21st July Saturday Bangkok

22nd July Sunday Bangkok/UK

I have left three buffer days at the end just to provide some extra leeway for staying in some of the places a bit longer if I really like them.

I would welcome any thoughts/recommendations on the places chosen, and if there is anything you would perhaps swap out for another location or reduce the time there.

Thanks guys!

Luke

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Pai
Pai
Mae Hong Son Province, Thailand
Chiang Rai
Chiang Rai
Chiang Rai Province, Thailand
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Khao Sok National Park
Khao Sok National Park
1,119 Reviews
Surat Thani, Thailand
Phangan Beach Resort
Phangan Beach Resort
510 Reviews
Ko Pha Ngan, Thailand
Koh Tao
Koh Tao
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
462 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,522 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo Thailand for 4 Weeks

Seems like too many places in a short time. You can only realistically see two places per week when you account for the travel between places which can take four or five hours if getting to an airport by taxi, checking in, doing security, waiting for take off, getting off and collecting bags at the other end and taxi to a hotel to unpack stuff. If by bus, train, minivan, ferry etc long journeys can take twelve hours or more eg Bangkok to Samui is about fifteen hours by bus and ferry. Bangkok to Chiangmai about nine hours by bus plus extra hour or two to get to and from the bus station. Chiang Mai to Pai is about five hours by minivan up mountainous roads with hairpin bends all the way. The more you rush you will become stressed if connections are not met and you will not have much time to relax and enjoy each place. Thailand is a country about the same size in area as France but more stretched out from North to South. I think leave out three or four places.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
462 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Pai
Pai
Mae Hong Son Province, Thailand
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo Thailand for 4 Weeks

Thank you for the great advice. I might leave out some of the beach places in the end unless I find myself with some spare time towards the end, besides how different can beaches be 😂

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo Thailand for 4 Weeks

I'd skip Krabi, as it's more likely to be wetter there, than the Samui or Koh Phangan side. I am not sure of what the weather might be like in Khao Sok or Chaing Mai. Might be worth searching for weather in different areas.

Mentioned in this post
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
462 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Phangan Beach Resort
Phangan Beach Resort
510 Reviews
Ko Pha Ngan, Thailand