We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taking diabetic testing strips into Thailand?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
taking diabetic testing strips into Thailand?

My diabetic brother is staying in Bangkok for a few months and wants my son, aged 25, to take him a pot of diabetic testing strips from the UK when my son travels to Bangkok later in June. (My brother can't get the type of strips needed to fit his little machine in Thailand).

I am nervous about my son taking " medication" for someone else into Thailand. Will he have difficulty with Customs checks at Bangkok airport?

all views will be appreciated.

Thank you

5 replies to this topic
Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
3,000 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: taking diabetic testing strips into Thailand?

My husband is a type 1 diabetic and we have travelled to Thailand 12 times. Never had any queries from customs or security about his test strips. (Only one time security asked about his insulin when it passed through xray). I don't think test strips would pose any problem.

Level Contributor
5,780 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taking diabetic testing strips into Thailand?

As above, I'm a T1 diabetic as well and I've never had any problems taking any diabetic supplies into Thailand.

As long as thou you aren't taking a whole suitcase full of test strips in with you which could be confused with a commercial quantity your son will be fine.

Just as an afterthought, wouldn't it be better if the person who stays in Thailand actually gets a machine that had strips available in Thailand to purchase? At least for a backup in case he runs out of strips from the UK, or his machine dies?

Pretoria, SA
Level Contributor
418 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: taking diabetic testing strips into Thailand?

Also a T1 diabetic. The strips are not medication per se. As previous poster says it is just the quantity that may be questioned.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: taking diabetic testing strips into Thailand?

Thank you very much.

I am nervous about my son taking in strips that aren't for his personal use- but your reassurance is helpful

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
8,360 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: taking diabetic testing strips into Thailand?

They are strip for a monitor !!!!

Simple as that!!!!. Unless for some reason your son gets a random stop by customs and they serach his luggage no issue. If you do he simplely explain if asked they are for his uncle.

Chok Dee

Reply to: taking diabetic testing strips into Thailand?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted