We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mindfulness/Meditation Retreat

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Mindfulness/Meditation Retreat

My husband and I are looking for a place in Thailand where we are separated for 2 or 3 days to work on ourselves individually with things such as mindfulnessand and meditation. We will be there for 15 days starting in Phuket, driving up to Bangkok and then ending up in Chaing Mai for the lantern festival. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
3 replies to this topic
Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
17,593 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mindfulness/Meditation Retreat

"We will be there for 15 days starting in Phuket, driving up to Bangkok and then ending up in Chaing Mai for the lantern festival. Any advise would be greatly appreciated."

-

Not sure if you are aware that in Thailand Thais drive on the other side of the road from Texas. Same as England. If you do drive do so legally. Forum search and reading the FAQs on the side can be helpful. Also, distances might be greater than you think. Flying between Phuket and Bangkok and then to Chiang Mai can save a lot of time. When driving there is some liability concerns too, so besides driving legally have good insurance too!

As you probably know forum search and Google search with your computer will give you a few suggestions for your retreat. Maybe if 2 places are close together you can try different locations since you want to be separated.

Good luck.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mindfulness/Meditation Retreat

Thanks for the helpful info. We are used to the driving on the opposite side of the road and traveling by car. We put 900 miles on a rental car in Costa in 9 days and then 700 in Italy. It's the only true way to see the country and experience the culture. You miss so much when you fly.

At my desk
Level Contributor
367 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mindfulness/Meditation Retreat

From my reasonable, but not exhaustive, research on the topic I've concluded:

There are loads of 'wellness retreats' where there’s optional beach side yoga and/or guided meditation sessions at 8am and sunset. You usually also get an optional cooking class and hot stone massage as part of your package. There is a lot of emphasis on the quality of the food, bed linen and views from your balcony (which I do believe would be stunning); and many websites show images of deckchairs and cocktails by the pool. While there are some cheaper options (in which case say goodbye to the private balcony and luxury spa) many tend to be pricey, even by western standards. Just google them, loads will come up.

Then there are the proper (yep… I did say ‘proper’. I’m owning it) Buddhist retreats. These tend to start at 10 days, but I have seen 8 days. Generally you wake to a gong around 4.30am, go to meditation sessions which total many hours per day, attend lectures from monks, aren’t allowed to talk for the entire time, aren’t allow to use any digital for the entire time, skipping any sessions is really frowned upon, you get two small vegetarian meals per day, no one may use alcohol, other drugs, tobacco, caffeine etc, you sleep in single sex dorms in austere conditions. The timing of these tends to be inflexible, often the 10 day courses always start on the same day of each month so you have to fit around their schedule. Cost is usually donation only. Try googling Buddhist retreats Thailand.

There are also retreats that provide meditation but have another very strong focus. For example not using alcohol and other drugs; or radically challenging your relationship with food, doing more excercise and losing weight. I don't know much about these but completely support anyone who goes to them.

What is a lot more difficult to find are short, readily available, serious but not rigorous, English language meditation only retreats. I've come across a few, I haven’t had any dealings with any of them so am not willing to effectively advertise them here but if you search you will find them. They aren’t super cheap. While I don’t know anything about Dallas I honestly wonder if you’d have more luck getting a three day course there.

Whatever you choose, good luck.

Reply to: Mindfulness/Meditation Retreat
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted