We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget for an 11 days trip

1 post
Save Topic
Budget for an 11 days trip

Hi guys, I am a student so my budget is pretty limited to 11000 thai baht that I have to spend for 11 days, my destinations are Phuket then Koh Samui, including hotels I will have to live with 11000 thai baht for the whole journey, I am a little worried about that. I am afraid it won’t be enough and I might go broke lol. So m looking for some answers from experienced travelers to either make me relaxed or more worried lol.

Thanks all

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
463 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
19 replies to this topic
Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
3,034 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget for an 11 days trip

11,000 thb for 11 days including hotels and transport from Phuket to Samui? Surely that can't be correct. I hope at least you have purchased travel insurance.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
463 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
8,699 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget for an 11 days trip

Not only is it not enough money. The Thai government may ask you to show you have funds to support your self while in the Kingdom. This amount would be 20000 baht.

No need to be afraid … because you need to find more money. You are going to two of the most expensive places

Chok dee

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,672 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget for an 11 days trip

Yep, not enough money. Even staying In Super cheap places, you need to eat and do you want to see places or sit in a room.

Have you researched how to get to your destinations and the cost..

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
11,118 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget for an 11 days trip

" I am afraid it won’t be enough and I might go broke lol"

That is exactly what you will do. Even staying in one place and not having to spend money on travelling you would at best only just survive on that amount. You certainly would not be having much of a holiday.

My suggestion would be to save some more and postpone your trip.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
17,583 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget for an 11 days trip

" I am a student so my budget is pretty limited to 11000 thai baht that I have to spend for 11 days..."

-

At a thousand baht a day you don't have a lot of money to work with. Phuket and Koh Samui not exactly the cheapest places to visit!

-

Othmane B

1 post

Need more information from you. Where are you starting from? Do you fly directly to Phuket? Or do you fly first to Bangkok and have to make your way to Phuket?

Borrow some money or work and save up more money. Did you choose Phuket - Koh Samui because you want to swim or visit nightlife? If swimming is not that important nightlife in Pattaya is cheaper along with cheaper local transportation and hotels when compared to Phuket.

Option 2. Stay for half the time and double your daily spending money. If coming from a nearby country you can always come back.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
463 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Pattaya
Pattaya
Chonburi Province, Thailand
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
649 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget for an 11 days trip

All/most of the replies so far are from the type of people who spend 1000 baht per meal nevermind 1000 baht per day. Most of them are also too old to even remember being a student.

Food is 50 baht per meal, free water usually included at the cheap places. Cheapest hostels not more than 250 baht per night, they often have free snacks, coffee, water etc. So sustenance and accommodation not more than 500 baht a day and you can do it for 300 if you really try. On quieter islands you can take a hammock and string it up somewhere because nobody cares, but I wouldn't recommend that on Samui or Phuket, they're not that sort of places.

So you're left with about 500 baht a day for transport and tours. Cheapest tours are 500-1000. Buses in Phuket are not more than 50 baht or so (apart from the airport one) and they go to all the main beaches. Samui has no public transport and taxis are very expensive. Renting a motorbike is cheap at about 200 a day but not recommended if you have no source of backup funds because you're screwed if you crash it.

Phuket and Samui are more or less the the same; so just pick one. If you want 2 islands pick Samui and Phangan, or Phuket and Phi Phi. Easier/cheaper to travel between.

Mentioned in this post
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
463 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Phangan Beach Resort
Phangan Beach Resort
510 Reviews
Ko Pha Ngan, Thailand
Phi Phi Hotel
Phi Phi Hotel
951 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
11,118 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budget for an 11 days trip

nbtrt

"All/most of the replies so far are from the type of people who spend 1000 baht per meal nevermind 1000 baht per day. Most of them are also too old to even remember being a student."

Certainly in my case I can assure you you are very wrong, a meal for me can very often be cheap noodle dish from a street cart or food court, an expensive meal for me probably would come in at about 200THB and they are a real rarity. Although I am now getting on a bit I can remember very well being a student and making tough calls on how to spend my money so not really sure how you come to your conclusions as I suspect you have never met ANY of the previous posters and can therefore know nothing about them.

I am merely suggesting that the OP might find it better to restrict his/her travelling which will cost him/her money by choosing one place, and that he/she would have a much more enjoyable holiday by postponing it a little and saving a little more.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
17,583 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Budget for an 11 days trip

I can't remember ever spending 1000 baht for a meal just for me. (Not even the equivalent at home!) I have been in a few really nice hotels when it was paid by an employer but FOR ME there is no hotel in all of Thailand worth more than 1000 baht! The cheapest hotel room with A/C, TV, free wifi and refrigerator is okay. I do go for cheap buffets every now and then but not the expensive places. I eat a lot of cheap fried rice! (Good thing I like it!)

For Phuket area 1000 baht for hotel, tours, food, entertainment, transportation and even souvenirs is pushing it a little. Don't even know if this budget has to include transportation from Bangkok to Phuket or bus ride from Hat Yai to Phuket or whatever! Or maybe he has one of those Star Trek transporters and can just materialize directly to Patong!

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,866 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Budget for an 11 days trip

"sustenance and accommodation not more than 500 baht a day and you can do it for 300 if you really try"

Bahahahahaha

300 bhat a day in Phuket or Samui for accommodation and three meals a day.. dream on! Never going to happen, and its idiotic to even suggest that is even achievable at all there. You sure to post some rubbish at times Nrbrt

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
463 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
11,118 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Budget for an 11 days trip

" You sure to post some rubbish at times Nrbrt"

I have to agree with you there Psyvolt, it is almost as if nbtrt visited Thailand once many years ago and has not been back since.

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Budget for an 11 days trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted