We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre-paid currency cards & recommendations for Crimbo

Oxford, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Pre-paid currency cards & recommendations for Crimbo

Hello!

My friend & I are in Thailand for Christmas & New Year...we cant decide where to be for either!! Does any one have a recommendation of where would be nice to be for Christmas (thinking relaxing) and where to go for New Year that might be a tad more lively! We are going to the Full Moon party on the 21st Dec so will need to rest after me thinks!

Also we have been told about these pre-paid currency cards from mastercard & visa...has anyone used them in Thailand? Or is it best to split my spending money up into cash (baht obviously) and travellers cheques?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Full Moon Party
Full Moon Party
1,835 Reviews
Ko Pha Ngan, Thailand
Brisbane
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,266 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre-paid currency cards & recommendations for Crimbo

Split your money into cash and debit cards. Don't use the prepaid currency cards as they are a rip off. Travellers cheques? who uses travellers cheques, they are outdated. I usually take as much cash as I can and exchange it in Thailand as I get the best rate this way.

Oscar

Mentioned in this post
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
23,194 posts
2,280 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pre-paid currency cards & recommendations for Crimbo

In the UK look at pre paid currency cards from Fairfx or Caxton. Check the following link.

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/prepaidcards/

Also look to get a good credit card to use abroad such as the Post Office credit card.

We used a combination of sterling which we exchanged from time to time, money from ATMs and credit cards.

UK
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pre-paid currency cards & recommendations for Crimbo

Pre-paid cards aren't a rip off at all - really not sure where Oscar got that from. The two main ones that I've looked into are FairFX and CaxtonFX - I have dismissed the FairFX one as we're likely to withdraw from cashpoints and they charge 1.5% (which will be on top of the standard Thaii 300THB charge that everyone has to pay).

That leaves a Caxton 'Global Traveller' card - your money stays in sterling and converts at the time you withdraw. Some people think there's a 2.5% charge - but there's not, they're getting confused with the calculation of the exchange rate (2.5% on top of the inter bank rate). As an example the post office are currently weighting their GBP-THB exchange rate by 4%. You are vulnerable to any currency fluctuations, but they are as likely to be in your favour as against.

That was a long way to say that we're taking the Caxton Global Traveller card and literally 1000THB cash in very small notes for when we arrive (as well as a back up credit card just in case).

We'll be there for Christmas/NYE too! Phangan for Xmas moving to Lanta for new year. SO EXCITING!!!

Edited: 25 November 2010, 18:54
Mentioned in this post
Phangan Beach Resort
Phangan Beach Resort
513 Reviews
Ko Pha Ngan, Thailand
Lanta
Lanta
48 Reviews
Ko Lanta, Thailand
UK
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pre-paid currency cards & recommendations for Crimbo

One other thing - don't listen to Oscar and take cash only, if anything happens (however unlikely) you have no back up. Bad idea.

5. Re: Pre-paid currency cards & recommendations for Crimbo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2011, 12:33