We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lizards in Lumphini Park - A stupid Question!!

London
Level Contributor
655 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Lizards in Lumphini Park - A stupid Question!!

Hello

I've been reading (and seeing pictures) of the Lizards that live in Lumphini Park. I'm not overly keen on them, but accept they are part n parcel of life in the park. (If I see one I can walk in a different direction or avoid it completely by not walking near it.) I want to maybe use one of boats on the lake - my question is do the Lizards swim regularly in the lake? I am aware I may get ripped for this question. haha

17 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
25 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lizards in Lumphini Park - A stupid Question!!

I've seen monitor lizards swim (thought at Dusit Zoo's lake) but have not seen them climb on a moving row or paddle boats. Most of the time I saw them on land and they will try to get away from you when you are close. Didn't see any when I went to Lumpini for Loi Krathong, on land or in the water.

Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
8,076 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lizards in Lumphini Park - A stupid Question!!

Yes, they enjoy a swim, as they are 'water monitor lizards'.........and harmless. Keep your fingers away from their mouths though, as if they do latch on, they tend not to let go....or so I heard.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,527 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lizards in Lumphini Park - A stupid Question!!

They spend just as much time in the water as they do on land. Completely harmless, they won't go near your boat anyway. They're monitors not lizards.

You can't miss them at Lumpini, there are hundreds of them.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
6,460 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lizards in Lumphini Park - A stupid Question!!

As with most wild creatures, they leave you alone if you leave them alone.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
587 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lizards in Lumphini Park - A stupid Question!!

We make a turn by Lumpini on every trip to Bangkok and have seen numerous monitor lizards on our walks but they have never approached us, in fact they scurry into the greenery or up into the trees to get out of the way so don't worry just enjoy the peace and quiet.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lizards in Lumphini Park - A stupid Question!!

"Monitors are typically large lizards, with the classical proportions. There are four species native to Thailand: the water monitor; clouded monitor (V. nebulosus); Dumeril’s monitor (V. dumerilii), which is easily recognized by its orange head; and the very rare rough-necked monitor (V. rudicollis).

Water monitors can reach a total length of more than 91/2 feet, depending of the subspecies, making it one of the largest lizards in the world."

Source: reptilesmagazine.com/Field-Herping/…

London
Level Contributor
59 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lizards in Lumphini Park - A stupid Question!!

We have made time especially to see the monitors in the park during our family visit next month! Hope there is lots to see.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lizards in Lumphini Park - A stupid Question!!

Don' t be afraid of them, they are not T- Rex, just monitor lizards who enjoy doing their own thing. Do not touch them or get too close and they will leave you alone too.

England, United...
Level Contributor
295 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lizards in Lumphini Park - A stupid Question!!

We had to seek them out really, they tend to stay near /in the water. We saw a local throwing stones at one as it was trying to take the turtles food he was feeding to them.

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,739 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lizards in Lumphini Park - A stupid Question!!

Was at Lumphini Park today later on when the park was packed with aerobics classes, walkers power walkers and joggers. Only saw one baby monitor. Seems to be very few now on the lake, compared with 7 or 8 years ago. The locals do not like them hence the sharp reduction in numbers around the lakes.

Reply to: Lizards in Lumphini Park - A stupid Question!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted