We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Longtail boat or Blue Flag tourist boat for short river trip

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
137 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Longtail boat or Blue Flag tourist boat for short river trip

I have heard different opinions on these longtail boats for transport on the Chao Phraya. We need to get from the Sathorn or River City locations to Wat Arun. Leaving around 2pm. We can easily take the tourist boat for an inexpensive rate. I am considering a longtail boat ride as well. I do not know if they would agree to such a short trip (I believe it is only about 15 minutes or so?) or at what rate. I also hear that longtail boat rides on the river are not ideal since they share the river with larger vessels. Also are they available at the River City location as they are t Sathorn? I am looking for experience over cost.

Mentioned in this post
Chao Hostel
Chao Hostel
391 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
River City Bangkok
River City Bangkok
228 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Temple of Dawn (Wat Arun)
17,192 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
1 reply
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
6,371 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Longtail boat or Blue Flag tourist boat for short river trip

What you heard is correct; the longtail boats provide a good experience in the Khlongs.

However, a journey on the river from Sathorn/Central pier to Wat Arun pier will not be an ideal experience.

The boats sit low to the water, so you will not have a good view. And yes,there will be big boats/barges which cause large wakes.

They charge an hourly rate (about 1,200THB), so if you want to make that short trip; you will pay for an hour.

Otherwise, pay 40THB for Blue flag ferry boat or 15THB for Orange Flag ferry boat.

Both take you to Tha Tien (N8) pier which is near Wat Pho.

From Tha Tien pier take river crossing ferry (4THB) to Wat Arun Pier.

Mentioned in this post
17,192 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Reply to: Longtail boat or Blue Flag tourist boat for short river trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted