We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangkok - Chiang Mai journey

Level Contributor
192 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Bangkok - Chiang Mai journey

Hey guys! We will be heading from Bangkok to Chiang Mai on the 12th August and we were going to take the night train but on return we are heading to Koh Samui so im guessing it would be best to fly back to Bangkok and just jump on a plane at the airport to take us to Samui right?

Does this sound like the best way to do things or should we just book return flights from Bangkok to Chang Mai and then arrange a flight to Samui at the airport when we get back?

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
12 replies to this topic
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
8,742 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bangkok - Chiang Mai journey

Bangkok Airways have a daily non stop flight from CNX to USM.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Rawai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bangkok - Chiang Mai journey

The best way would be to fly direct from CM to Samui.

Level Contributor
192 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bangkok - Chiang Mai journey

I looked up flights guys but it seemed all flights stopped in Bangkok! I will check again

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Level Contributor
192 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bangkok - Chiang Mai journey

Just checked and Bangkok Airways is not showing any direct flights. You have to stop in Bangkok plus a one way ticket from Chang Mai to Samui is coming in at almost 10,000 baht

I was hoping it wouldn't be that expensive!

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Rawai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bangkok - Chiang Mai journey

Look on Skyscanner. Bangkok Airways is showing there for me

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Level Contributor
192 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bangkok - Chiang Mai journey

I used skyscanner. On the 15th August which is when i would be leaving Chiang Mai - There is no direct flight coming up! I have to fly to Bangkok and then from there to Samui!

The problem with this also is that i would then have to book a one way ticket back to Bangkok as a return ticket would take me back to Chiang Mai right?

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Rawai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bangkok - Chiang Mai journey

Oh my giddy aunt - you're right Blaa!

I worked my way through 7 days prior, and they've cut 3 direct flights! Perhaps during low season, they reduce the schedule, i guess.

Anyway, back to your original question. I'm not a fan of thai trains. Noisy, basic, not quick, always late and not that cheap when compared to an airfare that can be booked well in advance.

For me, I'd go with your idea of booking a return airfare - Bangkok-CM-Bangkok, then your next flight down to Samui.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
8,742 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bangkok - Chiang Mai journey

Seems PG are cutting back of the direct flight CNX/USM.... maybe the paying public are tiring of the high prices.

Bandung, Indonesia
Level Contributor
19 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bangkok - Chiang Mai journey

Just adding vote to PhuketBigdaddy. I'm going to go from Bangkok to Chiang Mai too, in July. I was considering the night train, but some sources said it isn't worth it; long journey, not cheap, and since it is night, minimum sight-seeing. So I browsed Skyscanner, and stumbled upon cheap flight DMK-CNX and return, by Nok Air; only abt 700 baht per trip (night train, cheapest berth is abt 1000 baht). And flight only took abt 1,5 hour. Since I booked hostel for abt 150 baht per night, i definitely prefer the flights and spend the night in solid bed :)

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bangkok - Chiang Mai journey

We have a flight from C M to Bangkok,then Bangkok to Surat Thani,then ferry to Koh Samui, for a fraction of the cost of direct flights from Bangkok to Koh Samui

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Bangkok - Chiang Mai journey
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted