We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourists need 20,000 baht to enter?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Tourists need 20,000 baht to enter?

I've just come across some information saying that tourists need to show 20,000 baht to officials on entering Thailand.

Four of us are flying to Bangkok from Singapore for 3 days next week and this is the first I've heard of it! We will only be carrying about 4.000 baht each.

What's this all about?

Also, do we need a visa? We are all British nationals

Edited: 21 May 2018, 00:16
Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
24 replies to this topic
Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
6,893 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Tourists need 20,000 baht to enter?

The 20,000 baht requirement, as Ray2Travel mentioned, is the "equivalent of", so bringing any convertible currency that equates to 20K baht fulfills the requirement.

As for the others who posted "it never happened to me", I have seen people in the line ahead of me at Suvarnabhumi and at Mae Sai land crossing being asked to show da money. So yes it does happen. The two cases at swampy were individuals whose outfits were rather unkempt and grungy. However the lady at Mai Sae was well dressed.

Ireland
Level Contributor
4,573 posts
512 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Tourists need 20,000 baht to enter?

I think Mr Cycling's first hand advice should be noted. Despite the fact that many people havent been asked, it obviously does happen.

But it appears any currency seems to be valid.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Tourists need 20,000 baht to enter?

What about a VISA/Mastercard ? Would that be enough ?

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
19,452 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Tourists need 20,000 baht to enter?

When I went to get my tourist visa, there were signs in the embassy in Berlin saying you must be carrying 20,000 baht or equivalent. I may be wrong, but I was under the impression it’s still 10,000 baht for entries on exemption, and now 20,000 for entries on a visa. It makes sense, because you can stay twice as long on a visa entry. So I carried €500. And no, I was not asked when I entered on my visa.

And no, credit cards or debit cards will not do.

Reply to: Tourists need 20,000 baht to enter?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted