We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Final night in Thailand before flying out

Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Final night in Thailand before flying out

Hi..after spending over 2 weeks in Thailand we will be in Bangkok one night before flying out at 9am next morning. We are in Bangkok for 4 nights at the start of our holiday so it wont be our first visit.

I'm looking at Avani Riverside...its also my birthday on our final day so would like a nice restaurant..infinity pool for our teenage kids.

Will traffic be not as bad at 6am to travel back into the airport? Do we need to be there 2 or 3 hrs prior to our 9.15am international flight in Bangkok?

9 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,773 posts
126 reviews
1. Re: Final night in Thailand before flying out

3 hours is the recommended time for a international flight.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
19,190 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Final night in Thailand before flying out

**Will traffic be not as bad at 6am to travel back into the airport? Do we need to be there 2 or 3 hrs prior to our 9.15am international flight in Bangkok?**

I would NEVER bet pro/con on Bangkok traffic. Never!

Give yourself enough time to get to the airport vs getting stuck and sweating getting there.

Yes...in my experience, drive time is just under 1 hour. I still give myself more than enough time. I rather be checked in airside relaxing than to be in a taxi sweating.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
9,350 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Final night in Thailand before flying out

Normally the traffic in the morning is coming into the city. When staying in Bangkok, I sometimes get up early and go for a walk to see the Monks on the street receiving Alms. There is not that much traffic, however once you. get to 8.30 am it is very different.

The time you arrive at the airport ,depends on many factors, such as the Airline you are flying with ,if you have checked in on line. When I fly out on Emirates, they state that you should be checked 90 mins before the flight.

Chok Dee

Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Final night in Thailand before flying out

Thankyou everyone. We are flying qantas. Im thinking if we allow 1hr leaving at 5am. That will get us to the airport 6am. With the flight leaving 9.15am that gives 3 and a quarter hours. Would you agree I'm being realistic?

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
9,350 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Final night in Thailand before flying out

More enough time, personally I would not get there so early. I doubt check in will be open, when you get there .

Chok dee

Aussie land
Level Contributor
86 posts
21 reviews
6. Re: Final night in Thailand before flying out

novotel airport hotel would be be a good option, because of traffic time, good luck

Sydney
Level Contributor
5,598 posts
25 reviews
7. Re: Final night in Thailand before flying out

It's not always the traffic you have to consider..it can sometimes be the queues at checkin,carryon luggage XRay and the unpredictable Immigration outbound counters.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Mae Hong Son
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
37 reviews
8. Re: Final night in Thailand before flying out

Many of the airlines that only have a few flights per day use contract staff for check-in and do not open the counters until two hours before flight time. BKK is not exactly a fun airport in which to hang out at 6am. Even if the counter is open, I can't imagine arriving three hours before flight time to check in, pass immigration and go to the gate.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,182 posts
33 reviews
9. Re: Final night in Thailand before flying out

Personally, I wouldn’t choose to stay in Thonburi if I had a flight the next morning. Why not stay handy to the ARL train line and catch a 06:00 train to the airport? No muss, no fuss.

There are many hotels that would fill the bill, equivalent to the one you’ve chosen. Check out the Grande Centre Point Terminal 21 for example. One subway station from the Makkasan ARL station.

Reply to: Final night in Thailand before flying out
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted