We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MRT with luggage - in peak hour!

Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
58 reviews
MRT with luggage - in peak hour!

We will be looking at getting the MRT from Makkasan to Hua Lamphong. I imagine after clearing customs and getting the airport train it will be about 1800hrs when we are trying to do this so I guess it will be pretty busy at this time.

There are two of us and we will have a largish backpack each and probably a small day pack as well so will take up a bit of room.

Is this going to be a problem with crowds and upsetting people? I've also read in some reports that all bags are searched before you enter the MRT platform. Will this be an issue (not that we will have anything concerning, just that we will have quite large bags).

Thanks!

13 replies to this topic
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
144 posts
38 reviews
1. Re: MRT with luggage - in peak hour!

Personally i do not mind this happening where i live or anywhere else i go,its public transportation and its understandable if you have to lug around things in the train, if possible you could be a bit patient and see if the train is full and gauge if your presence will be that much of an inconvenience and try to sit or stand in an unobstructive corner, i think that the MRT is much more forgiving than the BTS as it felt less crowded to me when i took it from Terminal 21 to Chatuchak, and Phetchabhuri isn't exactly a hub

if you really think you're that much of a bother in trains than you could just go to the last ARL station and Phaya Thai and take a 17 minute cab or uber ride to Hua Lamphong for like 130 thb

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
9,755 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: MRT with luggage - in peak hour!

Yes it will be a busy time..It is a fact of life in Bangkok that people will have luggage on Public Transport. .I travel on the BTS and ARL to and from the Airport. While the reply above does give go advise, if you went for a taxi option do it all the way.. The first part of the trip will be very fast as most of the cars will be coming out of the city. However once in the city at that time a taxi is slow..

I recently used the MRT last afternoon and early evening, I found it less crowded than the BTS.

Chok Dee

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,945 posts
30 reviews
3. Re: MRT with luggage - in peak hour!

The bag check, on the MRT Blue Line, the line you will be using, is all but non-existant. Only once have I seen someone actually asked to open a bag. Everyone is always waved through.

The MRT Purple will require bags to be cracked open, only to have a quick wave of the "magic flashlight" passed over it.

You will be heading against the flow of commuter traffic. You should be able to find room.

4. Re: MRT with luggage - in peak hour!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 09 September 2018, 15:42
Edited: 09 September 2018, 15:42

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
18 reviews
5. Re: MRT with luggage - in peak hour!

I would use a taxi. Not expensive.

It's rush hour. But easier in a taxi than on a train.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
6,410 posts
26 reviews
6. Re: MRT with luggage - in peak hour!

As long as you take your backpack down and don't shove it in people's face it won't be a problem. I mention this as so often travellers with backpacks board full trains with no consideration for other travellers.

You will need to change (walk) from ARL at Makkasan to MRT Petchaburi to get to Hualampong.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
355 posts
429 reviews
7. Re: MRT with luggage - in peak hour!

The search is not really the issue. Its the jostling you need to deal with, from buying tics, getting on and off. Peak hours too!!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
8. Re: MRT with luggage - in peak hour!

Bags are not an issue on MRT or BTS, despite what people on this forum might tell you. MRT rarely check inside bags anymore. BTS do, much more often. Nobody will complain or give you funny looks, it's not the Thai way and plenty of Thais do it to. Very large items like bicycles that cannot fold are restricted during peak hours, but suitcases and bags are fine.

Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
58 reviews
9. Re: MRT with luggage - in peak hour!

Thanks everyone!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
241 reviews
10. Re: MRT with luggage - in peak hour!

If it is the big luggage, the problem will be facing with staircase in BTS. Airport Express train is no issue with it. BTS line only one side have the escalator and the other don't have it.

Reply to: MRT with luggage - in peak hour!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted