We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current Political Situation, travel to Bangkok?

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
83 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Current Political Situation, travel to Bangkok?

With the current political situation and today’s protest at the airport, is it advisable to travel there?

Cheers

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
174 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Current Political Situation, travel to Bangkok?

Yes, these protests are isolated (search on here) and the airport is back to normal.

Don't worry it's no more dangerous than viisting London when theres a protest march on, Keep clear and you will not get hurt.

It's also advisable not to enter into discussion about the current political situation wth Thais.

Chris

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
83 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Current Political Situation, travel to Bangkok?

Thanks Chris. You are right! Their emotions needs to be respected :-)

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
83 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Current Political Situation, travel to Bangkok?

Chris,

Check this link on CNN,

…cnn.com/2008/…index.html

Still problems?

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Current Political Situation, travel to Bangkok?

The airport is back to normal? You are dreaming! I think we have another denialist here.

Why is it advisable not to discuss the situation with Thais? The actions of the PAD are casing hardship to thousands of holidaymakers. Why should they have to cop it in silence?

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Current Political Situation, travel to Bangkok?

An interesting quote from a passenger:

"I was one of the stranded passengers yesterday at the airport.

The only yellow shirted people I saw inside the building were those who had left their Mercedes parked outside to grab a Starbucks coffee (worth 1/2 the average daily wage of the factory workers and farmers who voted in the present government) inside the terminal. I guess that was reason enough for the airport director to shut down all air traffic... I wonder which side he is on?"

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,136 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Current Political Situation, travel to Bangkok?

"It's also advisable not to enter into discussion about the current political situation wth Thais."

I think this is sensible advice in any country if you don't understand the politics. That's not "denialist", that's common sense. On the other hand if by nature you are just want confrontation, take a master class from "the Cat".

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Current Political Situation, travel to Bangkok?

Did I just hear a budgie?

Just because one person is not interested or informed abut the political situation in SEA, that does not mean all people fit that mould. I agree with you, if YOU are ignorant about the situation then you should refrain from idle comments.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
174 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Current Political Situation, travel to Bangkok?

Rufuscat

I meant to say when the Airport is back to normal!!! apologies to the original Poster.

If you think is a good idea to discuss politics in a country where it can get you killed thats your choice makes me wonder if you have ever been to Thailand. My wife is Thai and she refrains from discussing Thaksin and PAD.

However back to the you original is it safe to go to Bangkok YES ONCE THE AIRPORT IS BACK TO NORMAL!!!.

I live in Bangkok I'm not denying anything, for the record I support Thaksin and think PAD are wrong but I';m not Thai so its none of my business!!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,136 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Current Political Situation, travel to Bangkok?

I've refrained from making many comments to you as you are incapable of depersonalising them. Many other posters express personal views from within and without Thailand and indeed I know for a fact that several otherwise committed posters have been so incenced by the vitriol that spews from your mouth against anyone expressing their own views that they have left the forum. Our loss, your shame!

If you want to debate issues in Thailand, why not go or return to the forums set up for that purpose not try and use and abuse this forum for your own views of all things Thai. Other than stir the pot I genuinely do not understand your motives.

I know what I think I'll propse you as Destination Expert for Laos, that might keep you occupied (wishful thinking!)

Ireland
Level Contributor
734 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Current Political Situation, travel to Bangkok?

Rufus, please stick with the program; you are hijacking threads on important matters.

Joe