We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Difference between booking with Agoda.com and Hotel?

Sao Paulo
Level Contributor
354 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Difference between booking with Agoda.com and Hotel?

Hello Guys, how are you?

Im about to book a hotel and I saw that the same hotel, in the same period booked via Agoda.com is much cheaper than doing the same thing directly with the hotel...Why is that?Is there something i dont know that may be a bad surprise for me later or should I really do it with agoda?

Thank you!!

Sydney
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Difference between booking with Agoda.com and Hotel?

Agoda is a wholesale accomodation web site that has the clout and buying power to negotiate and buy hotel rooms in bulk and on a regular basis.This is why they can sell hotel rooms cheaper.Low season in Thailand though means you can beat the web site accomodation prices if you are prepared to walk in and barter right now..

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Difference between booking with Agoda.com and Hotel?

It is generally better to book directly with the hotel as you can have direct contact and they will try to satisfy any special requests you might have but if the agoda price is much cheaper then I would book with them but be careful as sometimes agoda's initial price is less than the final price after their charges.

You can also check out these 2 hotel comparison websites as I usually find others are cheaper than agoda.

www.comparior.com

www.hotelscombined.com

Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Difference between booking with Agoda.com and Hotel?

Do compare rates, no one booking service always has the cheapest !

Some booking websites include tax and service, others add it on later.

They also vary in payment, some want you to book and confirm right away, others allow you a few days option ( e.g Sawadee ), some want 1 night deposit, others want the whole lot upfront.

Those comparison sites mentioned be Chella are 'ok' but they by no means include all the options, in particular for Thailand Sawadee, Ido24, hotels2thailand etc are not included.

You can also check with the hotel direct for any special deals.

I have never used Agoda, I always use Sawadee.com

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Difference between booking with Agoda.com and Hotel?

There could be 100 reasons why Agoda is offering a cheaper rate, like no refund upon cancellation for example. Without a whole lot more detail, all we can do is guess.

Along with the advice you've received so far, read this linked page and get clued up;

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-c121265/Thail…

Edited: 15 July 2011, 21:40
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Difference between booking with Agoda.com and Hotel?

The price listed on Agoda does not include tax etc, You need to click on the 'book it' link next to the room rate to see how much the charges are.

I've never been offered a better rate directly from the hotel than I can get on booking sites like wotif and agoda.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
254 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Difference between booking with Agoda.com and Hotel?

I have used agoda about a dozen times now with no problems. Fourb2...I have received a refund from agoda in the past, I only paid for one night as a fee.

I always check the hotel price 1st, then agoda. Monica was correct when she said to beware of taxes, agoda's price does not include taxes & fees.

If u use caution u should be fine.

Good luck & enjoy ur trip.

Sao Paulo
Level Contributor
354 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Difference between booking with Agoda.com and Hotel?

Thanks guys!!You are right!I saw the final price at agoda and it was 1000BHT more expensive than directly with the hotel!

If I can add also one thing to everythin we said, initially agoda was cheaper...but I wrote to the hotel and they made my a final price with a good discount!

Thanks guys!!

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Difference between booking with Agoda.com and Hotel?

Agoda often offers different tiers of pricing linked to the refund policy (Another analogy would be flight pricing - no refund/cancellation = cheaper tickets. The more scope for changes to dates, names, and so on, the more expensive the ticket).

I have also had refunds through Agoda, the point I made was that "sometimes" the very cheapest rates are linked to a "no refund" policy for that particular hotel, at that particular point in the earth's rotation around the sun.

india
Level Contributor
450 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Difference between booking with Agoda.com and Hotel?

agoda DOES NOT show you PRICES INCL TAX ........... that's the catch

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
6,031 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Difference between booking with Agoda.com and Hotel?

Agree with Fourb2. sometimes the the special price comes with caveats - no cancellation, no refund, fixed dates etc....just like discount plane tickets.