We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangkok (after floods) safe for infant?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Bangkok (after floods) safe for infant?

We are travelling to Bangkok on the 9th of Dec with an infant. My inlaws were worried about water borne diseases and any after effects of the flood. We are supposed to be staying in one of the hotels near the river and this has added to our worries.

Wonder if any travellers who are there now and also locals can advice if there are any things to avoid or do before our trip. I was told that there is no problems with food but water may be an issue.

Don't want to have to re route our flight (going to Chiengmai via Bangkok) as it will cost us a lot for our family of 4.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,143 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bangkok (after floods) safe for infant?

Most of Bangkok has been spared. Except for some short term problems, most of the riverside areas, at least on the Bangkok side, have been spared.

Keep the kid's hands clean. There is plenty dirty stuff that can be transfered hand-to-mouth.

Check with your doctor as to what cleanser to use. I'm not sure that standard hand wipes are good for infants.

Obviously, drink bottle water only. It's plentiful again. Keep the baby hydrated.

The river has been flowing throughout this ordeal. The problems associated with standing water aren't really much of a concern.

I am exceptionally sensitive to mosquitos. I have sensed an increase in activity. You my wish to rig some sort of netting to cover the baby.

The sun is intense. Keep the baby's exposure to a minimum. I have seen many babies left baking in the sun!

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bangkok (after floods) safe for infant?

There are no health issues in the centre and tourist areas of Bangkok as those places were never flooded. Its only if you venture into one of the rapidly diminishing flood zones that there might be slight problems.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
30 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bangkok (after floods) safe for infant?

Bbtony and OctoberSix,

Thanks for your valuable advices. We will be bringing along my 2-year old toddler to BKK this weekend and your posts reassure us that it will be safe to bring him along. We were too worried about the water borned disease as my baby is easily sick. Since the Safari World and Dreamworld are still closed, any suggestions of places to visit that toddlers might like? I was thinking Siam Ocean World and Fun-arium. Is the Butterfly park near Chatuchak still open?

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok Intl Airport
Bangkok Intl Airport
Bangkok, Thailand
Safari World
Safari World
2,787 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
The Siam
The Siam
736 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Chatuchak Weekend Market
Chatuchak Weekend Market
14,020 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bangkok (after floods) safe for infant?

Safari World should be open again by the time you get here. I do believe the butterfly park is open. Malls like Siam Paragon and Central World have play areas for kids too.

Mentioned in this post
Safari World
Safari World
2,787 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Siam Paragon
Siam Paragon
8,801 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bangkok (after floods) safe for infant?

Many thanks octobersix and bbtony for the input. We usually like to walk around the city/markets and eat where locals eat hence was worried for our 1.5 year old. Hopefully we won't have to miss out too much, not keen to hang out at malls. will keep an eye on hygiene, mozzies and the sun. Thanks again.

6. Re: Bangkok (after floods) safe for infant?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 03:40