We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to buy a suitcase

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
221 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to buy a suitcase

Where is the best place to buy a suitcase. Dont want top of the range, just normal priced one.Started packing as we are leaving on Monday and the wheel just fell off hubbies suitcase.

We are staying at Centara hotel.

Which are the best shops to shop at?And where are they?

Any advice you can give would be appreciated. Havent had a lot of time to do research.

Cheers. Danuta.

Chiang Mai
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to buy a suitcase

You can find stalls in the Night Bazaar that sell many different types of luggage with no problem. Enjoy your time here in Chiang Mai. Marie (nannyre)

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
649 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to buy a suitcase

Check the promotions in the main department stores before looking elsewhere - especially the CM night bazaar, which is expensive (for tourists) unless you know values elsewhere.

If you're limited for time, forget the night market and check the Airport mall or another such place, or Tesco or Big C if one is more convenient. Check the department stores, as well as the smaller shops. Don't forget the ~5% tourist discount cards (in addition to the ~6% VAT refund if you do the paperwork on that) offered by some department stores (like Central and Robinson's) - ask for them. Use the promotions in the department stores to bargain in the smaller shops - then buy from the place with the best value for you.

There is only one place in the world where I would buy luggage NOT during a promotion - and that's Mustafa Centre in Singapore.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,977 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to buy a suitcase

I bought luggage in the main department store, I paid more than the stall and street prices, however it is fabulous quality and still going strong after many many adventures.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to buy a suitcase

Robinsons dept store? Is it the upmarket Robinsons like in KL & Singapore? Or is it like the one in Manilla?

And where is it?

Thanks. Danuta.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,977 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to buy a suitcase

I don't think it was a Robinsons, just the main Dept store on the main road and multi floors.

Chiang Mai
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to buy a suitcase

There is a Robinsons at the Airport Mall, the other large shopping center would be Kad Suan Kaew Central Department Store. Both are good, but I had simply posted about the Night Bazaar since I never think of suggesting shopping malls to you tourists. I had never bothered with the malls when I was visiting because I figured that they were pretty much same same as what I had back in my passport country and when I needed another suitcase before I headed back from my holiday (ALWAYS too much shopping done here in Chiang Mai and no matter how well I planned needed another suitcase) I purchased in the NB and negotiated what I always felt was a good price. I still have bags that I purchased there and they are in good shape after banging around the world with me. As far as the question about is the Ribinsons like the one in KL or Sing...couldn't tell you, sorry. Marie (nannyre)

Brisbane
Level Contributor
332 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to buy a suitcase

I bought an excellent quality Polo Travel Club hard shell (but light) suitcase with built-in combination locks and no pesky zips (I've experienced real trouble with zips that burst open when the bag is fairly full, sometimes after they were checked in) - on sale last year at Robinson's, Airport Plaza store. And it was a fifth of the price I'd be up for buying the same quality in Australia. I've used it a few times this year and have had absolutely no problems.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,925 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to buy a suitcase

Danuta - apart from the suitcase question, which I think is answered above - you'll find the shopping very different in Chiang Mai to Kuala Lumpur. It isn't a place where there are lots of big shopping centers. There is Airport Plaza and Big C - Central, as mentioned above - but by far the best shopping in Chiang Mai is the unexpected things you find in the villages, in the markets or small shops as you wander around.

There are lots of treasures in Chiang Mai - it is the handicraft capital of Thailand. Beautiful ceramics, wood carving, silver, paper products, hand made jewellery etc etc. If you go expecting something different and go with the ride - you will find unexpected things.

For example recently Ella purchased a large wooden shelving unit from Reginas restaurant on the river. She went in for lunch and ended by buying a beautiful piece you mount on a wall. This is the kind of thing you can expect - but not like KL with masses of shoes, bags, etc...

Have fun and can't wait to hear how it all goes.

(do get that Nancy Chandler Map - it will help you no end to get around and find shops, places to eat, sights etc).

Caroline.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place to buy a suitcase

Hi Caroline.

I am so over shopping while on holidays. I just mainly want to go to the markets in CM. I love markets.

But I am hoping that Robinsons in CM is like the Robinsons in Manilla, and not like the up market version Robinsons in Singapore & KL.

I cant wait. Its been a lot to learn and research in a week.

Getting excited now, time to pack tomorrow. Have to be at Perth airport by 4am on Tuesday morning.

Cheers. Danuta.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,925 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place to buy a suitcase

I can't wait for you to go either because I can't wait to hear about it.....

C.