We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

koh samui to penang

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
73 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
koh samui to penang

Was wondering about the best way to get to Penang, Malaysia from Koh Samui. I want to stay 2 months and so will need to leave the country for a bit.

Mentioned in this post
Penang Island
Penang Island
Penang, Malaysia
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
462 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
10 replies to this topic
Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,875 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: koh samui to penang

Get a combined bus / ferry ticket to Had Yai from Samui, Raja ferry I know offers that. Then in Had Yai get a ticket to Penang.

There should be several places to check at the bus station in Had Yai, so ask as prices do vary.

It's likely the trip will be the dreaded Mini buses, all the way, as HY is not a well traveled route.

Avoid if you can doing on a Sunday, as traffic at the border crossing is a night mare with Malaysians returning after partying in HY on the week-ends!

Do not go into Surratthani city it adds too much time on an already long journey.

Hope that helps!

Mentioned in this post
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
462 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Penang Island
Penang Island
Penang, Malaysia
Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,514 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: koh samui to penang

Hi

Whats best for you? Cheapest, quickest?

You will find lots of places offering a combo, bus / ferry / bus / ferry service to Penang for similar purposes!

The direct flights ended a couple of years ago which is a real shame!

You can fly from Surat Thani via Kuala Lumpur! But takes about 5 hours so nearly as long as the combo!

Another option that might be worth considering is getting the ferry to the mainland, then get the train from Hat Yai down to Butterworth, and get a taxi over to Penang. https://www.seat61.com/Malaysia.htm

Edited: 08 June 2018, 16:58
Mentioned in this post
Penang Island
Penang Island
Penang, Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
Hat Yai
Hat Yai
Songkhla Province, Thailand
Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
3,175 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: koh samui to penang

TravellingMitch, unfortunately, Air Asia have stopped the Surat Thani to KL flight, so the option of flying from Surat Thani to Penang via KL is out. For flying the only option would be Samui to KL to Penang.

Mentioned in this post
Penang Island
Penang Island
Penang, Malaysia
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
462 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,875 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: koh samui to penang

Yes, Air Asia stopped the Surratthani/ KL flights several months ago... (opened up a flight to Hau Hin of all places!).

So it's not easy anymore... for cheap flight anyway.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
73 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: koh samui to penang

Thank you very much for all the answers. My problem is that I am worried that if I have a return flight to the U.S. two months after arrival; I might have a problem with either the airline in the U.S. or with Thai authorities. Do I need to worry about that? If so, how can I overcome it?

And I would look for either the fastest route or the most interesting. Thanx

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,875 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: koh samui to penang

That's thrown a bit of a wrench into the plan, I believe but not 100% certain to get an extra 30 days you have to fly back into Thailand, if you cross the border by land you get 15 days extension. If no one here can verify that, then perhaps ask on ThaiVisa.com in the visa section and explain the whole scenario from the start..

To make it easier on yourself, if you are not here yet, why not apply in the USA or Mexico for a 60 day permit...before coming, it's going to save a lot of hassle.Contact the local Thai Consulate...I am not sure where they are located in Mexico or US, but google it. .Assuming you are on a US Passport,

Mentioned in this post
Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
3,175 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: koh samui to penang

Jim, you are wrong. Any land crossing for a visa-exempt nationality gets 30 days, BUT you are restricted to 2 x land crossings a year (by air it's meant to be unlimited). If you have a visa exempt entry, you can extend at the Immigration office for a further 30 days for 1900 baht.

As Jim says, you could apply for a visa in advance or you could buy a cheap ticket within 30 days to satisfy the onward travel rule. It's usually the airline you are flying with that asks for onward travel proof. Some airlines will allow you to sign a waiver, others won't and some will accept you are extending in the country.

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,875 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: koh samui to penang

Well Loubbbyloolou, I did say I was not 100% certain and why I suggested checking on ThaiVisa.com visa section, Udon Joe would give the correct answer.

I believe with some countries that some people can only get 15 days by land, I don't spend my life trying to keep up with the Immigration regulations. It was only a short time ago, local immigration were only giving 7 day exemptions and if people wanted longer they had to do a "Visa run" for some people depending on country of origin.

I do agree, as I already suggested and if the OP has time, get the exemption before coming. To save the hassles..

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
73 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: koh samui to penang

It seems like if I just fly out of Thailand; on my return I will get another 30 day Tourist Visa Exemption. So I guess I need to buy an advanced ticket to Penang, Malaysia. Would I be able to do that from Phuket? It looks a lot closer than Bangkok.

Mentioned in this post
Penang Island
Penang Island
Penang, Malaysia
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
3,175 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: koh samui to penang

Yes, you can do that. Looks like there is one flight a day from Phuket to Penang with Firefly airline, no other airlines fly the route.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Penang Island
Penang Island
Penang, Malaysia
Reply to: koh samui to penang
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted