We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Organising flights help?

Level Contributor
195 posts
2 reviews
Organising flights help?

Forgive me if iam posting this in the wrong section!

Myself and my partner plan to fly to Samui on the 16th of August this year. We will be heading straight to Samui from Chiang Mai but on the selected date there is no direct flight so we must book 2 seperate return flights. One from Bangkok to Chiang Mai return and then another to Samui from Bangkok.

The flight i have looked at for the return journey from Chang Mai to Bangkok is scheduled to arrive in Bangkok at 4:20pm And the Flight we need to catch from Bangkok to Samui is scheduled to leave at 5:50 which gives us a layover of 1hr30mins if all goes to plan and there is no delays etc

Is this enough time? Iam concerned about possibly missing the connecting flight! I assume we would need to collect our bags and then check in again etc for our second flight so might need more time?

What do you guys think?

16 replies to this topic
Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,944 posts
72 reviews
1. Re: Organising flights help?

Hello Blaa

I am not sure which airlines you looked at, but both Bangkok Air and Air Asia, have flights direct through, looking at their time tables.

Although Air Asia goes to Surratthani, then it's a bus ferry ride to Samui, which adds a good three to four hours. (Lipa Noi Pier, Samui). Less expensive.

Bangkok Airways also has direct flight CNX to USM (Samui)... it looked liked there were not many seats left.

Perhaps take another look!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
10,464 posts
99 reviews
2. Re: Organising flights help?

If you are worried about missing a connection you need to book a real connecting flight from Chiang Mai. Bangkok Airways does those and a 1.5 hour layover is very safe when you won't see your baggage until Ko Samui airport. Bangkok Airways requires any checked bags to be dropped off 60 min before a domestic flight so 1.5 hours is quite tight when you need to collect baggage with separate tickets.

You are not saying anything about returning to Chiang Mai so why do you think you need return tickets? Bangkok Airways provides also those but if you actually are not returning to Chiang Mai from Samui you can also buy a multi-city ticket terminating e.g. in Bangkok.

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,944 posts
72 reviews
3. Re: Organising flights help?

Ah ! I know what happened, make sure to push the One Way button when looking/ booking flights... unless you are returning to CNX. Default button is set for return flights!

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,832 posts
386 reviews
4. Re: Organising flights help?

What airlines? What airport in Bangkok?

DMK and Air Asia / Nok check in can be manic! If you are flying both sectors with Bangkok Airways via BKK then the check in staff might tag your bags to Samui [USM]

I would also only book one way flights to Chiang Mai and then see what you can do when you fly Chiang Mai to Samui.

Edited: 08 June 2018, 17:05
Level Contributor
195 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Organising flights help?

The reasoning for return tickets is because iam traveling to Chiang Mai from Bangkok and i want to return to Bangkok. And then travel to samui from Bangkok and return to Bangkok.

Getting a direct flight to samui from Chiang Mai complicates things a tad and seems to work out more expensive because that means i have to book a separate flight to Chiang Mai and then a separate ticket direct to samui plus a third separate ticket back to Bangkok.

I just have concerns about making the connecting flight to samui as baggage would need to be collected in Bangkok and then checked in. If i wasn't seen my baggage until samui then obviously i wouldn't require as much time

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
3,343 posts
145 reviews
6. Re: Organising flights help?

But Bangkok Air don't discount based on a return ticket so I'm not sure why you need to book returns over single flights.

You need 3 flights - BKK-CNX, CNX-USM and USM-BKK - is this correct? I would book them all separately, or, if you really wanted to, use the multitrip function on Bangkok Air's site to get them all on one itinerary with one payment.

Level Contributor
195 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Organising flights help?

I'll look into that now and see how it works out so

Level Contributor
195 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Organising flights help?

Tried using the multi trip function which seems handy / more convenient but cost comes in almost 200 euro more expensive then if i just book 2 separate return flights. Ill just try and give myself more time between flights i guess so that i don't miss the connecting flight

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
3,343 posts
145 reviews
9. Re: Organising flights help?

I don't understand why you need return flights? Don't you just need the 3 flights I outlines previously, if so, just book the 3 flights separately with the Chiang Mai to Samui direct - there is no discount for booking returns, the price is the price whether you book one way or return.

I'm now completely confused with what you are trying to do - maybe list the flights you want to book and it might be a bit more clear?

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,944 posts
72 reviews
10. Re: Organising flights help?

I'm confused too!

Reply to: Organising flights help?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted