We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dengue / Mosquito advice

Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Dengue / Mosquito advice

Hi there,

Can anyone give me any info on the current dengue situation in Ko Samui? We are planning to stay in Choeng Mon in July. Very anxious about the mosquitoes - have there been many cases of dengue this year? Any product recommendations to keep them away? Last time we were in Samui I was bitten a lot - they love me for some reason.

Any advice is appreciated - we are going for our honeymoon and just want to relax and not worry.

Many thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Ko Samui
Ko Samui
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
Choeng Mon
Choeng Mon
Bophut, Thailand
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
462 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
9 replies to this topic
Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,875 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dengue / Mosquito advice

If you are prone to being bitten, use a spray, Soffel or Citronella sprays work well, and nicer scent than Deet. Most 7 11 or pharmacies will have in small spray bottles around 80 baht each.

Dengue is not a huge problem on Samui, but occasionally it can be. Those mosquitoes are around more in the day time and smaller than regular mosquitoes, which one starts seeing around dusk.

I can't say one finds them on the beach so much, many resorts do have spray programs when there is a problem or spray as a cautionary measure ... one is more likely to come across them in less built up areas with lots of trees etc. .

Mentioned in this post
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
462 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,514 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dengue / Mosquito advice

Dengue is a risk, but the cases are generally low on Samui.

If you are prone to being bitten, then its best to use protection. I use products with repellent in them - and you can buy this in the UK [don't know where you are from]. I buy repellent from the 7Elevens [there are some small bottles] and have them with me handy.

I will say as I have got older the mozzies don't seem to love me as much as when I was young. Even though I am A+ blood group, which is not so popular with the mozzies!

Var
Level Contributor
352 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dengue / Mosquito advice

DO NOT USE REPELLANT FROM YOUR OWN COUNTRY! Mosquitos in Thailand react different to them.

You can go to pharmacy, but the cheap, green or pink repelllant from 7/11 is as good. I like the smell of the green one's better.

Mentioned in this post
Chonburi, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dengue / Mosquito advice

Use repellant from any country so long as it contains DEET.

Dengue is endemic on Samui and the damp weather and close proximity of people to each other is perfect for dengue.

One also gets the feeling that the natural instinct of the local authorities is to suppress information regarding this virus.

It doesn't matter if you are "prone" to being bitten or not ... some people hardly react to mosquito stings at all and don't even realise they have been bitten, but the reaction to the bite as not been shown to have any relation to the likelihood of infection by Dengue.

You need to wear protective clothing and repellent at times when you are potentially most exposed.

The times of highest risk are dawn and dusk.....but the Aedes mosquito will fly in daylight. Unlikely in full sun

It likes to shelter under furniture and in laundry...in fact it thrives in human habitation and needs the minutes amount of water to cover itself and allow them to hatch.

Edited: 14 June 2018, 07:43
Mentioned in this post
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
462 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
7,208 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dengue / Mosquito advice

Not usually the case .... 555

But agree with #4 .... "Use repellant from any country so long as it contains DEET ..... Dengue is endemic on Samui"

Thailand this year has already exceeded well over 10,000 cases of Dengue countrywide, with 15+ deaths so far. Cover up best you can, and use that DEET. Especially dawn and dusk, and they seem to love nipping at you ankles under the table.

When I usually get munched on.

Mentioned in this post
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
462 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dengue / Mosquito advice

Deet-based repellent works well for me too. Applying sunscreen 10 minutes before spraying the repellent.

Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dengue / Mosquito advice

Be careful when mixing sunscreen and repellant - they can nullify each other

Markinch, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dengue / Mosquito advice

We use Boots Chemist Repel wipes (contain Deet) when visiting Samui and apply it on exposed skin before going out in the morning and again before going out in the evening. We also tend to apply again if sitting around in the shade at a bar over lunch if no wind. The wipes work well for us and we tend to be bitten much less than those who use non-Deet products. I also tend to cover up in the evenings (long trousers and sleeved shirt, shoes and socks - not fashionable, I know but I am paranoid about mosquito bites) which also reduces the bites. If bitten, try hydrocortisone cream 1% on the bite if it itches and this really reduces the itch.

Mentioned in this post
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
462 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dengue / Mosquito advice

I got denque despite my attempts to spray all things on me while visiting thailand. They stung me close to the base of the foot (probably the only place where i didn't sprayed lol) . I got a rash , migraine and felt a bit weakened for 1-2 days. After that I was like new.

So what's the deal with the denque? As some told me : If you are healthy strong male , with no medical issues denque can't do crap. It mostly affects weak people , prone to getting sick with other medical issues on the list.

Edited: 17 June 2018, 20:05
Reply to: Dengue / Mosquito advice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;