We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island hopping plan

Level Contributor
182 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Island hopping plan

Thinking of a winter trip to Thailand somewhere between November and February. I would want to spend about a week in Chang Mai and Bangkok

To see the temples and culture then head to the beach! We are middle-aged couple interested and @2 nights at each island of Pi Pi, Phuket, Krabi, and Ko Lanta. I have seen companies like Contiki and Busabout That do packages including transportation. Is this the best way to go or is transportation on ferries easy to do on our own? Thanks. Ps we luv to snorkel!

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Ko Lanta
Ko Lanta
Krabi Province, Thailand
perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Island hopping plan

Hi

I would suggest you do it your own instead of the package tour.

Assuming you fly from

Chiang Mai to Phuket after Bangkok. You can stay a couple of days in Phuket then get ferry to koh lanta, use Koh lanta as your base to do day trip Koh phi phi and others islands nearby the like of bamboo island, Koh Rok. You then can travel to Krabi for the flight back to Bangkok or back to Phuket for flight to Phuket.

For excursions book once you're on the island or once you're in Phuket. There are many travel agency to be had. Some you can book online.

What you have to do is book flights ( direct with airlines), book hotel using those web agents the like of booking.com Agoda.com Expedia.com

Internal flights for full service Thai airs, Bangkok airs. Low cost Nok airs, Thai smile, air Asia.

Hope this help

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,167 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Island hopping plan

I think doing 4 places in 8 days is too much, better off basing yourself somewhere and using that to get to different places. I would spend 4 days in Krabi and do a day trip to Phi Phi as it's only around 40 minutes by boat. I would pick between Koh Lanta and Phuket, Phuket is very touristy and Koh Lanta less so, so I would pick whichever one suits you. Just my opinion, but if you are checking into a new hotel every 2 days, it will be a pain.

Mentioned in this post
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Phi Phi Hotel
Phi Phi Hotel
954 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
Lanta
Lanta
48 Reviews
Ko Lanta, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Phuket Thailand
Level Contributor
3,716 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Island hopping plan

Hi Liz. I think changing hotels is going to waste a lot of your time. I suggest you choose two locations for your time in the south, and do day trips from there.

Say 4 days Phuket; visit Phi Phi (some people will recommend overnight at Phi Phi, depends what you want, it is a very busy place for the most part), Phang Nga Bay, Similans, Racha Islands, Kho Yao Yai and Kho Yao Noi all as day trips. A trip to Phang Nga Bay can include a trip around some of the Krabi Islands. I would suggest one snorkeling trip to Racha, Similans or Phi Phi. Another day trip to Phang Nga Bay which does not have the best snorkeling but has spectacular scenery, caves, hidden lagoons and more. James Bond Island if you must, although some companies avoid it.

Then shift to one of the other islands, maybe Lanta as suggested by Sweet, and do trips from there. Maybe Phi Phi from Lanta instead of from Phuket. Just don't go by long tail boat, A Chinese family tried that the other day, tragic consequences.

All the best,

Mark.

Phuket Sail Tours.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Phi Phi Hotel
Phi Phi Hotel
954 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
Phang Nga Bay
Phang Nga Bay
1,606 Reviews
Ao Phang Nga National Park, Thailand
The Racha
The Racha
1,339 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
James Bond Island
James Bond Island
3,226 Reviews
Ao Phang Nga National Park, Thailand
Phuket Sail Tours
Phuket Sail Tours
3,391 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
182 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Island hopping plan

Thank you! Good points! I was completely unfamiliar w the distances in between each place and not aware I could see places on just day trips. Sounds perfect !

Level Contributor
182 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Island hopping plan

Thank you everyone. Just the type of inside info I needed to to know to make a plan. Also, is there a place nearby these islands to swim /dive /snorkel with whale sharks ? Or giant Manta? We are avid snorkels and considering getting certified to scuba this spring. What are the best nearby snorkel trips? Thanks.

6. Re: Island hopping plan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2017, 14:17