We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2019 Trip

London, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
2019 Trip

Hi

We are a couple in 50's going to Vietnam for the first time next year from UK in late May

I have looked at the flights and have found a route I would like to take. But would appreciate some advice on choice of routes and the amount of time to spend in each location. Also any must-sees you can think of at these locations. We do like to explore but a leisurely pace.

Route is

London > Ho chi min city 4 nights stay) > Fly to Danang > Taxi to Ho An (4 nights stay )> Taxi to Hue (2 nights stay) > Fly to Hanoi (4 nights)> london

Thanks in advance Treds

16 replies to this topic
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
7 reviews
2 helpful votes
1. Re: 2019 Trip

Nothing wrong with that plan.

Watch out for travel agents and others who'll talk you into visiting a dozen more places. Don't listen to them.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
9,010 posts
4 reviews
1 helpful vote
2. Re: 2019 Trip

Pretty straightforward.

Go for it.

The only thing is not to take a taxi from Hoi An to Hue.

Use a private driver instead.

Just Google "driver in Hoi An TripAdvisor".

Plenty of threads on the subject will appear.

Cheers,

John

Level Contributor
361 posts
23 reviews
7 helpful votes
3. Re: 2019 Trip

"any must-sees you can think of at these locations"

Saigon (HCMC): https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29392…

Hoi An: I guess the town itself, it's a small town. Maybe nearby beaches.

Hue: definitely the royal palace and tombs.

Ben Tre, Vietnam
Level Contributor
2,729 posts
1 review
4. Re: 2019 Trip

Your itinerary is ok. Hoian private car to Hue.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
177 posts
5. Re: 2019 Trip

You can spend 2 nights in Ho Chi Minh City, 1 night in Mekong Delta (Can Th or an island at a lodge), then fly to Danang - taxi to Hoi An, 4 nights in Hoi An is good, or even longer, taxi to Hue, 2 nights is good. Fly to Hanoi (3 nights in Hanoi and one night on boat in Ha Long Bay. Or you can spend 2 nights in Hanoi and 1 night in Ninh Binh, 1 night on boat in Ha Long bay. This is our suggestion.

Little Vietnam tours

Puerto Princesa...
Level Contributor
9,029 posts
549 reviews
215 helpful votes
6. Re: 2019 Trip

Looks OK but i hope you will be taking a day trip out of HCMC as you can see the main attractions in a day. Consider Mekong Delta, Cu Chi and Cao Dao temples and get out of the city. Hanoi is much better with so much to do.

Wangaratta...
Level Contributor
636 posts
65 reviews
38 helpful votes
7. Re: 2019 Trip

May will be starting to warm up, for people who don’t see much sunshine be prepared ☀️☀️☀️☀️

Hoian, my favourite place, enjoy, have a look at the Old Town then get out and see the real people, they are beautiful friendly

people, you have two beach areas both approx 4kms from town, a town where you can do as little or as much as you like.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
8. Re: 2019 Trip

thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vietnam
Level Contributor
10,926 posts
9. Re: 2019 Trip

"thanks"

Excellent. Another happy customer....

Scott

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
15,355 posts
74 reviews
58 helpful votes
10. Re: 2019 Trip

Nothing wrong with your pick of destinations except that they will all be overcrowded (especially Hoi An). Since it will be really hot, you might like to stop in less crowded places (Dalat or Quy Nhon). I would not spend 4 days in Saigon - better places to spend your time. Don't rush or make too many stops.

Just for your info, May would not be my choice (I like December or March much better).

Reply to: 2019 Trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted