We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR - 8 destinations 20 days (Hue to HoiAn)

Armidale, Australia
Level Contributor
687 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
JBR - 8 destinations 20 days (Hue to HoiAn)

We are two couples ranging early to late 60's. I was in Vietnam and SR 10yrs ago and I put together this fairly fast paced self organised itinerary. I know 8 destinations is frowned upon by the expert advisors here, but I knew with some good pre-booking and precise planning it could be done. Thank you to those on here who helped me with my research and planning, it is much appreciated.

Well, we arrived home last night and I am pleased to report that our trip went perfectly. My goal was not to be scammed once, and I achieved that (as far as I know), through some great research and advice from this site. All our internal flights were on time and accommodations were top notch, I would encourage anyone wanting to go to Vietnam and Siem Reap that doing your own planning and sight seeing tours is easy to do providing you do your homework by checking on-line reviews etc.,

We flew into and our of HCMC from Sydney arrived 9pm and stayed first night at the Airport Hotel HCMC, next morning we caught a domestic VietJet flight to Hue.

Hue Riverside Villas - 2nights, we knew we would be very happy here. Afternoon we went for a walk, caught a dragon boat across the river to the market, exchanged money and went out on the town in the evening for dinner and drinks.. How good is Hue on a Saturday night when they close off the street to traffic and have music and dancing in the street? Such a great family vibe and we even had a dance or two. There were so many people filling the restaurants and families enjoying the atmosphere. We already liked Hue very much!!!

Sunday - we visited two tombs and two pagodas - Minh Mang, Khai Dinh, Thien Mu Pagoda and another plus the Citadel. This was a fairly full day but we enjoyed it a lot. Having an aircon 7seater and great tour guide pre-organised by accommodation was perfect, he factored in coffee and lunch breaks. It was very hot and I have never consumed so much water with hydrolites in my life before. This was enough temples/pagodas in Hue, we didn't feel the need to visit every one and we were happy with our choice and what we saw.

Monday - Hue to HoiAn via HaiVan Pass and Marble Mountain, seafood lunch at LangCo transferred by our tour driver from Sunday in the 7 seater, was very comfortable. We arrived at HoiAn at about 2:30pm and settled into the Silk Luxury Hotel on the edge of the 'Old Town' for two nights. This is a great hotel in a very good location. After a swim and relax we wandered out in the evening for cocktails by the river. I must say that it was very different from 10 years ago. The crowd was huge so after a cocktail overlooking the river we found a 'street food' location and ate dinner by the river. Food was very good and it was quite nice watching the people taking boat rides etc., but I was a bit taken back by the crowds of people who probably flock to this strip each evening. After we ate we retreated to our hotel for a peaceful relax. I was not as impressed with HoiAn second time round but there is tomorrow to wander the 'Old Town' and redeem itself.

Tuesday - we walked the 'Old Town', where had all the people gone?? It was so peaceful in the morning and so different to the evening before. We really enjoyed the day looking at the ancient buildings,and just had a nice time roaming about. Maybe people had taken bus tours out of town or to the beach but HoiAn had redeemed itself!!!

TBC only for those who may be interested. Cheers RR

Mentioned in this post
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Siem Reap Province, Cambodia
Hue Riverside Villa
Hue Riverside Villa
146 Reviews
Hue, Vietnam
Hue
Hue
Thua Thien - Hue Province, Vietnam
Thien Mu Pagoda
Thien Mu Pagoda
3,078 Reviews
Hue, Vietnam
Hoi An
Hoi An
Quang Nam Province, Vietnam
Silk Luxury Hotel & Spa
Silk Luxury Hotel & Spa
601 Reviews
Hoi An, Vietnam
7 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
890 posts
350 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JBR - 8 destinations 20 days (Hue to HoiAn)

Confused? I do not see eight destinations, just HCMC, Hue, Hoi An?

Mentioned in this post
Hue
Hue
Thua Thien - Hue Province, Vietnam
Hoi An
Hoi An
Port Stephens...
Level Contributor
644 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JBR - 8 destinations 20 days (Hue to HoiAn)

Aquste

I think TBC - to be continued...

More stops to come!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,956 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JBR - 8 destinations 20 days (Hue to HoiAn)

Keep going - great report! Our feelings about Hoi An exactly. The tour buses seem to be full of only day visitors, and vacate the town by about 8-9 pm. We quickly learned that mornings were best!

Mentioned in this post
Hoi An
Hoi An
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,306 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JBR - 8 destinations 20 days (Hue to HoiAn)

@Rockin this is cool, please keep going! remember to post your JBR on this thread so lots of poeple can read it

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g29…

Armidale, Australia
Level Contributor
687 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JBR - 8 destinations 20 days (Hue to HoiAn)

Hi Tofugirl123 or someone else - I'm not sure how to save my posts to the JBR's thread. Can you advise me how to do that. I don't want to do the wrong thing with posting JBRs in the wrong place or the forum police will get onto me!!! Cheers RR

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vietnam
Level Contributor
9,135 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: JBR - 8 destinations 20 days (Hue to HoiAn)

"Can you advise me how to do that."

You can just copy and paste your original post in this thread into the pinned JBR thread.

Or, if you're going to keep adding your reports to this thread, then just add the link to this thread into the JBR thread.

If you're not sure how to do that, and you're going to keep adding to this thread, then I can add the link for you. ;-)

Scott

Queensland...
Level Contributor
3,048 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JBR - 8 destinations 20 days (Hue to HoiAn)

Thankyou for taking the time to do your JBR. HoiAn is on my bucket list and I've added your hotel to my short list of places to stay. cheers. CJ

Mentioned in this post
Hoi An
Hoi An
Reply to: JBR - 8 destinations 20 days (Hue to HoiAn)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted