We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

restaurant near equatorial hotel, ho chi minh

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
restaurant near equatorial hotel, ho chi minh

I was in Ho Chi Minh in 2009 and stayed at the Equatorial hotel. It's situated on a triangle of land and at the "sharp" end is a large roundabout. Going down the right hand street from the hotel there was a restaurant on the right hand side by said roundabout. It was fairly basic, on two floors, and was not a tourist spot. At the time as well as the usual food it had tanks of various seafood but also more exotic items such as snake and lizards. I'm in the city later this year and would like to visit. If anyone has a name or current info on the place I would be very grateful. Thanks in anticipation.

Mentioned in this post
The Chi Boutique Hotel
The Chi Boutique Hotel
548 Reviews
Hanoi, Vietnam
7 replies to this topic
UK
Level Contributor
2,887 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: restaurant near equatorial hotel, ho chi minh

Street View?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@10.7642962,106.6796628,3a,75y,134.99h,90.89t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sAF1QipNO_OT84Uht5IQkxPo3u5XpL-wkdDAbV5kQu35j!2e10!7i8000!8i4000

'Walk' about until you see what you're looking for?

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: restaurant near equatorial hotel, ho chi minh

Thanks I'm sure I can find the place, I'm really trying to get any up to date info.

UK
Level Contributor
2,887 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: restaurant near equatorial hotel, ho chi minh

Well, it was more see if it's still there....

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: restaurant near equatorial hotel, ho chi minh

There are some such as : Thuy Tien restaurant, 01A restaurant... very short walk from Equa hotel,

This place is popular for local family and many men come to drink and watch some " eye candy" lol..

You can a little further to the right is Phuc An Khang craft beer club or on the right with the sign " Cua Ca Mau" fresh sea food restaurant.

Hard to communicate in English but you can order by seeing the pics on menu

Cheers

Tarentum...
Destination Expert
for Da Nang, Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park
Level Contributor
3,093 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: restaurant near equatorial hotel, ho chi minh

I stayed at the Equatorial in 2004. There wasn’t much out there but as things in VietNam change so quickly it would be a miracle if it’s still there. But if live seafood is what you’re looking for you can find it. SaiGon has everything.

Mentioned in this post
Saigon Phu Quoc Resort
Saigon Phu Quoc Resort
557 Reviews
Phu Quoc Island, Vietnam
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
7,984 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: restaurant near equatorial hotel, ho chi minh

I ride those streets often when I'm in town; the last time was late last year.

If you're talking about the one at the corner looking out onto the roundabout (Thủy Tiên), it's still there.

I had never set foot inside though.

You can see it (barely) from this video:

https://youtu.be/ASK9MTskrrM

The guy was riding from Chinatown to Saigon, taking Tran Phu street (which is on one side of the Equatorial).

Around the 1:26 mark, as he passed the big bus, you can see the Văn Lang Park ơn the left.

Shortly afterward, you can get a glimpse of the two-story Thủy Tiên on the opposite side of the road.

That particular stretch (Trần Phú on one side and Hùng Vương on the other side) isn't known for eateries.

If you like "Bún bò Huế", walk down Hung Vuong toward Chinatown, you will find "Nhân Trí" at the corner of Lê Hồng Phong. It's not cheap by VN standard, but they do a very brisk business, while keep on expanding, having opened up a couple of branches already. (They also have a pretty good "bún mắm", too.)

Cheers,

John

Mentioned in this post
Saigon Phu Quoc Resort
Saigon Phu Quoc Resort
557 Reviews
Phu Quoc Island, Vietnam
Tran
Tran
130 Reviews
Da Nang, Vietnam
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
7,984 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: restaurant near equatorial hotel, ho chi minh

drifter, there's a lot of good local eats not too far from the Equatorial.

One area is the Flower market of Hồ Thị Kỷ and the Campuchia (Cambodian) market here:

https://goo.gl/maps/N2VRKjN2cQG2

The flower market operates 24/24; I don't know how late the food stalls and eateries stay open.

If you stray a bit further down to the Hoa Binh (Peace) Park, the two side streets Tran Nhan Tong and Su Van Hanh are among the best local foodie streets in town.

https://goo.gl/maps/NJfTq1EesT72

On the north side, around the Ban Co market (and the Vuon Chuoi market), you can also find tons of good local food in dozens of blocks.

https://goo.gl/maps/zR1iioaDof42

Cheers,

John

Mentioned in this post
Tran
Tran
130 Reviews
Da Nang, Vietnam
Hanh Restaurant
Hanh Restaurant
1,569 Reviews
Hue, Vietnam