We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I think it’s happening again...

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
448 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
I think it’s happening again...

So...my wife and I have a trip planned for the Dominican Republic in September for our 20th anniversary. But then we start talking about Vietnam and Bam!!! Looks like I’m cancelling airline tickets to DR and hotel and planning a trip to our “special” place.

Thinking flying into Hanoi, spend a night to recover, off to Sapa (our one must go place we have yet to go to), return and fly to DaNang for a week in HoiAn and then back to Hanoi for two nights before flying home.

Normally we have a year to plan but looks like I will do this in three months. All good, Vietnam trips are the easiest to plan.

So, so, so excited!!

It’s weird how this happens?!?! A friend emailed me last week for advice on planning a trip to Vietnam which got my silly brain thinking. Next, I was cleaning out a drawer the other day and came across about 5 million Dong and then the nostalgia yesterday with the news of Bourdain, who was fundamental in the planning of our first trip many years go to Vietnam. We put this all together and all signs are telling us that this is the right thing to do!

Troy

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Sapa
Sapa
Lao Cai Province, Vietnam
Hoi An
Hoi An
Quang Nam Province, Vietnam
5 replies to this topic
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
224 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I think it’s happening again...

Congrats! Have a great time there. Sad to hear about Bourdain, a foreigner with such massive love for Vietnam.

Mentioned in this post
Newcastle
Level Contributor
371 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I think it’s happening again...

Good on you!! That sounds like us, we have intentions of broadening our horizons but the next thing you know we have sale tickets booked back to Vietnam. We are now planning our 9th trip for next year!!

I must admit I usually have a cheeky couple of million dong left over as a carrot for next time.

It was so sad for all Vietnam tragics to hear the sad news of Tony Bourdain, his shows inspired us enormously. So sad!

Have a great time

ColVal

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vietnam
Level Contributor
9,575 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: I think it’s happening again...

Great to see you again, Troy!

And great to hear you're returning. Just keeps dragging you back, hey?

And yep, absolutely shattered about Anthony Bourdain. :-(

Scott

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
5,926 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I think it’s happening again...

Consider going to Bac Ha for the marvelous Sunday Market where the colorful Flower Hmong come to trade. Take the train to Lao Cai and catch a minibus early Saturday morning which will give you enough time to walk round the picturesque lake, visit the Hmong Palace, climb the hill in the middle of town where the radio station is located for 360 degree view. Every Saturday night there is free cultural dancing on stage by the market. Next day explore the market from 7-9.30am before all the tourists arrive, grab a late breakfast and head to Sapa. We were in Sapa last year and it is completely unrecognisable from the tiny village it used to be in '93 when there was just a handful of travelers and no restaurants. Lots of construction nowadays and crowded with tourists

Mentioned in this post
Bac Ha
Bac Ha
Lao Cai
Lao Cai
Sapa
Sapa
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
448 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I think it’s happening again...

Scott, I can only come here while planning my trips; I get jealous easy and would spend too much time travelling otherwise...

The Sapa part of the trip is solely for getting my wife on board!

Mentioned in this post
Sapa
Sapa
Reply to: I think it’s happening again...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted