We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vietnam in January

Ostend, Belgium
Level Contributor
61 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Vietnam in January

Hi,

I will normally have a full month of in Januari. I am thinking of visiting South East Asia.

I have heard that Vietnam is a great destination for this time. Is this correct?

I was wondering if I can combine it with some other countries such as Laos en Myanmar? Or if I really need a full month for Vietnam?

If you have propositions, feel free.

Just to let you know I have already travelled to Thailand, Cambodia, Malaysia, Singapore. So I would rather visit somewhere new.

Thanks for all the help :)

twinia

Mentioned in this post
6 replies to this topic
Vietnam
Level Contributor
786 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vietnam in January

Hello,

"I was wondering if I can combine it with some other countries such as Laos en Myanmar? Or if I really need a full month for Vietnam?"

Personally, I need the full 28 days a tourist visa from Myanmar allows. There are just too many fascinating places to visit and travel within the country can be very time-consuming. Not sure that there are any direct flights from Vietnam to Yangon or Mandalay. Probably have to fly into Bangkok first.

If you plan on traveling in SEA by plane you can certainly visit a few highlight cities in Vietnam, Laos or Myanmar. Really just depends on your interests.

Safe travels :)

Mentioned in this post
Laos
Laos
Asia
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon Region, Myanmar
Mandalay
Mandalay
Mandalay Region, Myanmar
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vietnam in January

Go to Travelfish.org for some research to find which places are likely to suit your interests rather than ours.

Yes, it's possible to visit more than 1 country. I've done as many as 3 on one trip, on others I've just visited 2. Last year was a full month in north Vietnam (December) and found plenty to see and do. This year will be another full month in the central highlands (and my 4th visit to Vietnam).

Be very choosy about where to go and don't make the all-too-common mistake of trying to cram in as much as possible. 'Less is more'.

Edited: 12 June 2018, 22:52
Mentioned in this post
Ostend, Belgium
Level Contributor
61 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vietnam in January

Hi, I mainly want to see nature and culture.

I am not a person to relax a lot, so no beach holidays. I will be backpacking, so the transport time is included.

I am also used to switching places after 2-3 nights, and I love a busy schedule.

thanks

twinia

4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Vietnam in January

From January to December (the whole year), central and south Vietnam is quite hot. In north Vietnam, it may be a little cold in January, especially at night.

Even one month is not enough to really experience all of Vietnam. Each city is so different. In HCM, there's the Mekong Delta which connects Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam. It's a very important river in SE Asia. You can visit the Mekong Delta and stay there for 3 days. You could try a home stay on the river bank.

If you want to experience a new country, you can try China.

Mentioned in this post
Greater London...
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vietnam in January

"I have heard that Vietnam is a great destination for this time. Is this correct?"

Northern Vietnam can be a bit cold in January. Central and Southern Vietnam will be warm.

Edited: 13 June 2018, 17:32
Mentioned in this post
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Vietnam in January

Hi,

Each city in Vietnam is different from each other, so you can spend a full month on discovering this beautiful country. The north of Vietnam has 4 seasons: spring, summer, fall and winter, whereas the south of Vietnam has only 2 seasons : dry and wet seasons. You can join trekking as well as climbing and there are many beach amazing activities which you can try in your trip. You should stay 2-3 days in each city to explore their culture, food and contemplate nature scenes.

In Hanoi, explore the culture, history and the colourful Old Quarters

In Saigon, you can discover the vast metropolis of modern bars, shops and restaurants; the unique tunnel in the world at Cu Chi, then experience floating life on Mekong river.

In Nha Trang, indulge yourself in Nha Trang's nightlife scene where is also famous for its fantastic natural scenery of mountains, beaches and islands combined.

Even one month is not enough to really experience all of Vietnam so that it is difficult to combine Vietnam with some other countries such as Laos and Myanmar.

Hope you have a great trip :)

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Saigon Phu Quoc Resort
Saigon Phu Quoc Resort
557 Reviews
Phu Quoc Island, Vietnam
The Chi Boutique Hotel
The Chi Boutique Hotel
544 Reviews