We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Before or after?

Bowser, Canada
Level Contributor
380 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Before or after?

We booked our airline tickets to Hanoi last evening and now need to plan a few things...

We only have two weeks this time so I want to maximize my travel to ensure I’m not wasting days needlessly.

The wife and I arrive at 1035 am on Saturday September 08, 2018. I am thinking we might hop immediately onto a plane for Hoi An and stay there until September 15, 2018. We will fly to Hanoi and take an evening train to Sapa before returning to Hanoi for three nights before flying home.

With this, if we arrive on international flight at 1035 am, what time would be safe for an internal flight to Hoi An? I’m thinking between 3 and 4 pm or do you all think it would be safe to book a 2 pm flight?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Hoi An
Hoi An
Quang Nam Province, Vietnam
Sapa
Sapa
Lao Cai Province, Vietnam
2 replies to this topic
UK
Level Contributor
2,808 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Before or after?

Who knows?

Why didn't you book a multi city ticket: <Canada> Fly to Danang, Fly to Hanoi, Fly to <Canada>?

That way, any connection problems on your way to Danang become the airlines problem not yours. If you arrive late, they find you a later flight...

Or turn your trip round: Arrive 10:35 in Hanoi, evening train to Sapa...

Always good to have some slack in your schedule in Vietnam where not running to time is the norm.

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Sapa
Sapa
Bowser, Canada
Level Contributor
380 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Before or after?

I always have slack in my schedule and thought about doing Sapa first but then figured I would have to rent a hotel room for day use as we will be super tired arriving from a red eye flight. We have taken the overnight train before in Vietnam and did not have the best rest and figure a red eye flight, arriving at 1030 am, no hotel room, overnight train equal a miserable time in Sapa.

My tickets are booked so I will be relying on internal flights for DaNang. We will play it safe and book a flight on Vietnam Airlines for 3 pm. This will give us 4.5 hours and should be more than fine.

In all our travels, we are used to things not going smoothly and take it all in stride and as part of the adventure.

Regardless, will ponder for a while before making any final decisions.

Mentioned in this post
Sapa
Sapa
Reply to: Before or after?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted