We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas 2018 in Vietnam :)

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas 2018 in Vietnam :)

Hi there!!

I am an Argentinean currently living in New Zealand and planning to go to Vietnam for this Christmas 2018!! I was thinking of spending 8/10 days but I would love to hear from more experienced travellers to consider my options! Is it a cheap destination for Christmas?? What are the best places to visit? Which airport should I choose??

I know during Xmas period everything is a bit more expensive, but they told me Vietnam is generally one of the cheapest options in Asia (also these are my only days off from work that I have left so I don't mind paying a little extra).

Something about me: I am a 35-year-old single woman, not a backpacker traveller style, I do love the privacy of my own hotel room (and bathroom!!). Saying this, I don't mind travelling cheap or sharing stuff of course! It is just that I am getting old :D

So, anyone that has spent Christmas over there before and can help me a little?? This will be my first time in Asia (and/or Vietnam), I am not looking for a "Christmases" holiday style, on the contrary, I would love to escape all the fuzz. Am I going in the right direction by choosing Vietnam?!?!?!

Thank you!!!! (and if you ever need any tips to travel to Argentina I would love to help!)

Paula

Mentioned in this post
3 replies to this topic
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
7,924 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas 2018 in Vietnam :)

Christmas is celebrated in VN, but nowhere as widely as in the west.

Saigon (HCMC) is about the only place where you see elaborate decorations in pockets.

Weatherwise, the south has better climate at that time of the year, ranging from "somewhat cool" to "not to warm".

You can fly into Saigon (Airport code SGN), travel down to the Mekong Delta for about 2-3 days and come back.

If you want some beach time, you can take the train to Phan Thiet for Mui Ne (Binh Thuan province.)

If you like somewhere a bit cooler, fly to Da Lat in the central highlands.

Cheers,

John

Mentioned in this post
Saigon Hotel
Saigon Hotel
214 Reviews
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Saigon Phu Quoc Resort
Saigon Phu Quoc Resort
557 Reviews
Phu Quoc Island, Vietnam
Ho Chi Minh City Airport
Ho Chi Minh City Airport
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Phan Thiet
Phan Thiet
Binh Thuan Province, Vietnam
Mui Ne
Mui Ne
Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Da Lat
Da Lat
Lam Dong Province, Vietnam
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas 2018 in Vietnam :)

As John has said, the south would be a good choice for the warmest weather.

'Best 'places'? Those would be the ones that would suit your interests and preferences. We all have our own.

When you've decided where to visit/stay, go to Booking.com and use the search filters to select your criteria. When results show up, look at the overall ratings and read guests reviews.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas 2018 in Vietnam :)

From my experience, Vietnam is a wonderful country to discover as well as experience because of its beautiful nature and warmest hospitality. On Christmas, the weather in Vietnam is very cool and comfortable. Coming to Vietnam, you can save an amount of money as the rate of the dollar in Vietnam is not quite high and everything including food, drink, clothes... is quite low-costed. If you have 8 days in Vietnam, I think you can choose one of some following options:

* 8D7N Hanoi - Halong- Saigon: You can spend 3 days on visiting Saigon to discover the unique tunnel in the world at Cu Chi, then experience floating life on

Mekong river before coming to Hanoi for exploring the culture, history and the colourful Old Quarters for 2 days. After that, set sail for Ha Long Bay – a UNESCO World Heritage Site and get ready to enjoy overnight trips on grand cruises.

* 8D7N Saigon (4days) - Nha Trang (4days): You can stay in Saigon 4 nights for exploring Ho Chi Minh City - the vast metropolis of modern bars, shops and restaurants and indulge yourself in Nha Trang's nightlife scene where is also famous for its fantastic natural scenery of mountains, beaches and islands combined.

If you would like to enjoy somewhere with cooler weather, you can visit the highland Dalat or Sapa.

Hope you have a good trip :)

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Saigon Phu Quoc Resort
Saigon Phu Quoc Resort
557 Reviews
Phu Quoc Island, Vietnam
The Chi Boutique Hotel
The Chi Boutique Hotel
539 Reviews