We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vietnam Exchange Rate

Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Vietnam Exchange Rate

Hi everyone,

I was wondering what the recent exchange rate is in Vietnam (HCMC) to convert from GBP to Dong.

I am travelling next month, and I am not sure whether to just pay the rate in UK or hold off until I arrive. I know it will be more expensive here, but I was not sure what the difference would be.

Thanks

Cal

Mentioned in this post
Half-Day Cu Chi Tunnels from Ho Chi...
457 Reviews
from US$85.00*
Free Cancellation
Cu Chi Tunnels and Mekong Delta VIP...
183 Reviews
from US$79.00*
Free Cancellation
Full-Day Halong Bay Islands and Cave...
145 Reviews
from US$43.00*
Free Cancellation
9 replies to this topic
pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,985 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vietnam Exchange Rate

What is it you are paying? If you just want exchange rate go to XE.com. GBP is pretty stable to VND so there's not much to worry about.

Cheers Ross

Coolum Beach...
Level Contributor
3,308 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vietnam Exchange Rate

Hi Callum R,

This website is always close to the mark!--you can do better, but this is close enough. ( Exchange ONLY in VN )

Good Luck

Plover

https://www.oanda.com/currency/converter/

Coolum Beach...
Level Contributor
3,308 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vietnam Exchange Rate

Back Again ,

This is the rate at 12.30pm , Australian time, 13/06/18

Plover

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,847 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vietnam Exchange Rate

plover This website is always close to the mark!--you can do better

-----------

Very true but even changing say £500, don't go making special journeys, chasing, what is in effect small differences between places i.e. pence. 10 years ago it was a totally different ball game and was worth making the trip e.g. it was 1000's of dong between airport and gold shops. Nowadays, as long as it's near the average, take it and get on with the holiday. But do look up the rate at the time of exchange. It can change minute by minute.

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
5,381 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vietnam Exchange Rate

Change your money in Vietnam as you will definitely get a better rate.

Mentioned in this post
Coolum Beach...
Level Contributor
3,308 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vietnam Exchange Rate

Bertie,

So true ---it is hardly worth the effort now to go hunting ( unless as you say,) the rate quoted is ridiculously out of " whack' . ----I have always travelled in AUD cash ( so tired of being murdered by the banks ) ---their ridiculous fees now , have claimed what we made in the good old days!

In 20 years, I have used an ATM machine 4 times.------Hotel security now is soo good!---never lost a vnd---all my money is kept in main reception safe and I travel only with what I need each day!-------Please everybody, lets leave it at that ---this topic has been argued to death over the last 12 years ---to each his own!

Whatever OP, have fun!

plover

Coolum Beach...
Level Contributor
3,308 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vietnam Exchange Rate

Back again,

To substantiate my previous post , The rate difference in my hotel ( cash exchange ), the bank next door, and the Gold shop 100 metres away ,4 weeks ago were only 100vnd different!---not worth the time!

plover

Level Contributor
138 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vietnam Exchange Rate

Keep your GBP until you arrive in Vietnam,that is unless you want to lose over 10% to the obscene banks and currency exchange shops worse still the kiosks at the UK airports where you wil lose about 15% of your cash,they pray on people's stupidity.

Landed at HCMC in February and got a rate less than 1/2 % below bank mid price.

Mentioned in this post
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
5,579 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vietnam Exchange Rate

To substantiate my previous post , The rate difference in my hotel ( cash exchange ), the bank next door, and the Gold shop 100 metres away ,4 weeks ago were only 100vnd different!---not worth the time!

================================================

This is all very well for experienced travelers who have the knowhow to find decent hotels. But I have seen inexperienced people lose up to 10% of their money at hotels because they think they are trustworthy.

My advice is don't change money anywhere without knowing the rate.

I havent seen any gold shops take anyone for a ride, but it could happen.

1st timers should go to a bank in Vietnam if they are unsure or cant connect to the internet.

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Vietnam Exchange Rate
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted