We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days in Vietnam - Advice Please

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
10 days in Vietnam - Advice Please

Hi All,

I'm trying to plan an itinerary for our first trip to Vietnam in November for 10 days and would appreciate some advice. We arrive in to Ho Chi Minh at 12.30am on Wednesday 7th Nov from Sydney. I'm thinking 3 nights in HCM (Wed, Thur & Fri) and on Saturday 10th make our way to the Central Coast; Hue/Danang/Hoi An. Here is where I'm stuck.

Should we Fly from HCM to Hue, spend a couple of nights in Hue then head to Hoi An for 4 nights/5 days and skip Danang? Or is it worth spending a couple of nights in Danang?

We fly back to Sydney from Ho Chi Minh at 2am on Saturday 17th November so I'm planning on Friday 16th being a travel day back to HCM.

Appreciate any advice, there's so much to see and do, it's overwhelming!

Thanks

Monita

5 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vietnam
Level Contributor
10,153 posts
1. Re: 10 days in Vietnam - Advice Please

"Should we Fly from HCM to Hue, spend a couple of nights in Hue then head to Hoi An for 4 nights/5 days and skip Danang? Or is it worth spending a couple of nights in Danang?"

You don't really have time for Danang.

But, having said that, the rest of your visit to the central region could come unstuck with the weather.

It's not a great time of year with the potential for heavy rain and flooding.

Scott

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
5,971 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: 10 days in Vietnam - Advice Please

Da Nang and Hoi An are cities only half an hour apart. I would do 1-2 nights in HCMC and allow for some time in Hanoi.

IMO you should have worked your way south to north and departed from Hanoi back to Sydney.

The other thing is the weather, Hoi An gets an average of 16 inches of rain in November.

Hue has 23 inches average in November.

I think thats also the Typhoon season in the mid north.

The south would be a lot drier, November is the start of the good weather

Edited: 13 June 2018, 13:46
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: 10 days in Vietnam - Advice Please

Thanks for your replies. We booked a sale fare in and out of HCMC so unfortunately we can't change our departure city.

Maybe we'd be better off sticking to the South then if it's rainy season in Central and cold in the North.

I feel like 10 days in HCMC is probably too much, any tips on other destinations we can visit in the South where the weather will be more pleasant?

My partner gets sea sick so we'll probably avoid boats. We enjoy history, cultural activities, architecture and love food. We 're also happy to park ourselves in a nice resort for a few days and eat good food and drink cocktails :)

Edited: 13 June 2018, 14:40
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vietnam
Level Contributor
10,153 posts
4. Re: 10 days in Vietnam - Advice Please

"....and cold in the North."

I don't think you'll find it cold in Hanoi. We left Hanoi on the 1st November last year and were still wearing shorts and t-shirts.

As far as other places south, look at the Mekong Delta, maybe Phu Quoc island, and perhaps even Dalat.

Depending on your interests, you could head down to the Mekong after a few nights in HCMC, and then fly to Hanoi from Can Tho. Before then returning to HCMC.

Or, leave the Mekong till after Hanoi.

Just a few options...

Scott

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
41 reviews
5. Re: 10 days in Vietnam - Advice Please

Since you'll be in and out via HCMC, you can spend some time around Mekong Delta. Maybe Ben Tre and/or Can Tho. Visit Travelfish.org to research more about places that might suit your interests.

Reply to: 10 days in Vietnam - Advice Please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted