We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vietnam or Myanmar

Ostend, Belgium
Level Contributor
55 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Vietnam or Myanmar

Hi,

I only have the full month of Januari to travel.

I was wondering which country you would advise to do now, Myanmar or Vietnam.

I will do the other another time, but that will most likely be either around April or Juli-August.

I would like to know which one you have to do now, to have the 'original' experience, so which is more likely to change fast (modernise)

I love nature and culture. I am used to having a busy schedule, 1-2 days on the spot and 1 day travel.

Is it also possible to add Laos to either of these countries?

Thanks

twinia

Mentioned in this post
4 replies to this topic
Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
704 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vietnam or Myanmar

You could easily add Laos to both countries.

I have been to both and given a whole month you could see a reasonable amount of both countries given your 1-2 day and move on attitude.

Myanmar has a strange charm but not enough charms to keep me occupied for more than 10 days.

Laos is a relatively poor country compared to Vietnam and has a laid back atmosphere. Vietnam is moving fast and the cities can be hectic but fun. I feel you have missed the "original" Vietnam!

Given a whole month why not go without any firm plan and keep moving? Start in Myanmar, you might have "done it" in a week! Move on to Vietnam and keep going...

Mentioned in this post
Ostend, Belgium
Level Contributor
55 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vietnam or Myanmar

Is it easy to move across the border? Or do you always need to go through Thailand?

I am from the EU, so I will probably need a visa.

I read that most people do Myanmar in 2-3 weeks. Is this enough? Of course I can spend more than 1-2 days in one spot, it will depend on the distances and what you can do there.

Mentioned in this post
Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
704 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vietnam or Myanmar

Moving across the border? Depends on where you are moving from? Why would you be in Thailand... Flights are cheap, using the budget airlines is a good option but needs forward planning to get the best prices.

No one can help you with your research if you do not have a plan! Get reading and make a decision, start with your entry and exit longhaul flights then fill in the gaps, as previously said- moving around SE Asia is cheap, you can enter all countries with your EU Passport on a Visa on arrival (set durations and proof of exit conditions)

How do I know if 2-3 weeks is enough in Myanmar? It is for me but I do not know you!

Edited: 13 June 2018, 17:14
Mentioned in this post
Vietnam
Level Contributor
729 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vietnam or Myanmar

Hello,

Personally, I prefer to visit Myanmar in the coolest and driest months of the year: November through February. In April it can be unbelievably hot and the summer rainy season definitely can be an issue depending on which parts of the country you intend on visiting.

On the other hand, April is a great time to visit Northern Vietnam while July - August is dry season in central Vietnam.

if you intend to travel from country to country by plane then you have a tremendous amount of options and can easily combine all the counties in South East Asia. The only minor caveat is that you may have to change planes (carriers ) in hub cities.

If you are considering traveling overland search the web and you will find numerous blog and travel articles on the most commonly traveled routes. One example that comes to mind is Vientiane across northern Laos to Hanoi.

Hope this helps :)

Mentioned in this post
Vientiane
Vientiane
Vientiane Prefecture, Laos
Laos
Laos
Asia
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Reply to: Vietnam or Myanmar