We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ha Long Bay

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
318 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Ha Long Bay

Hi

My friends and I will be in Hanoi just before Christmas and was thinking of visiting Ha Long Bay

1. Anyone know what the weather will be like then (e.g. whether it will be too cold to swim etc)?

2. Should we do a 2 day 1 night trip, or a day trip? Our current thinking is the 2 day 1 night, given the distance to get to Ha Long Bay.

Also, for the 2d1n, is it better to sleep on the boat or in a hotel on the island? Presumably the water is rather still and we won't get seasick?

3. Anyone has any particular tour to recommend for both the 2 day 1 night trip and day trips? Am looking for something of a 4 - 5 star quality.

Thanks.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
24,653 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ha Long Bay

You're right; given the distance travelled 2d/1n is a better option than a day trip. We found our junk very restful and in fact had our best night's sleep in Viet Nam on the junk. I get horribly seasick at home here but strangely not in the South China Sea: neither on the trip from Hong Kong to Macau or our tour of Ha Long Bay.

We were there in January and it was freezing but some hardy souls still went swimming.

Our tour was a 3 star so can't make any recommendations.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
318 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ha Long Bay

Is it still worth a visit even though you can't swim? What else can we do?

Which tour did you go for?

Thanks

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,996 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ha Long Bay

Have a look at Eco-Friendly Vietnam for your Cruise. This company has whole of boat charters which means your group will have the whole boat and can tailor your cruise to suit yourselves.They are different in that they have a greater environmental concerns and adopt practices geared to help the impact of Tourism on the bay.

Cheers Ross

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
668 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ha Long Bay

I recommend the Valentine boats of Indochina Sails boat company for 4-5 star cruise in Ha Long Bay. They offer boats with 5 cabins and only 2 cabins so you can use a private one for your own group if you want to.

It is better spend an overnight on the boat and enjoy the bay by a kayak/sampan.

Have a nice trip!

Hanoi
Level Contributor
456 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ha Long Bay

I think you should take a 2 days 1 night Halong trip with night on Junk Boat. I recommend you Huong Hai Junk. They have a good program and services.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
24,653 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ha Long Bay

It's definitely worth a visit even if you don't swim. I don't swim (i _can_ swim, I just prefer not to) and don't really understand the obsession with swimming :-)

The scenery is lovely, the Amazing Cave is indeed amazing, and it's nice and relaxing especially if you get a like-minded crowd of fellow travellers. We enjoyed our junk-mates and had some great conversations.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
60 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ha Long Bay

You should take Red Dragon junk for 2 days 1 night. You do not have to pay too much but you will have a great trip.

8. Re: Ha Long Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 January 2012, 19:05
9. Re: Ha Long Bay

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 January 2012, 19:05
10. Re: Ha Long Bay

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2013, 18:18