We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hanoi airport to Sapa train

New York, New York
Level Contributor
295 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
hanoi airport to Sapa train

Hi all,

I had a question regarding the airport transfer to Sapa overnight train. My itinerary is a bit tight, and I am trying to fit in a trip to Sapa. I am flying in from NYC to Hanoi and arriving in Hanoi at 7p. But the overnight train leaves at 9p. Is this enough time to get through customs, etc. and make the train to meet friends?

Thanks

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,940 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hanoi airport to Sapa train

If your flight arrives on time, you should allow about 30 minutes to go through all the procedures and pick up your luggage, and then another 45 minutes to an hour to get to the station.

So yes, it is cutting it fine, and if your flight is delayed or there are hold-ups between the airport and the station there is a every chance you won't make it.

Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,314 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hanoi airport to Sapa train

You are going to be exhausted after flying in from NYC, I would suggest at least a one day stopover in Hanoi before going to Sapa. This gives you the chance for a bit of a rest and covers the possibilities of delays that may add to any frustrations you have after such a long flight.

Greg

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
14,926 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hanoi airport to Sapa train

Not a good idea, you need at least an overnight in Hanoi before taking this train. You want to make sure that your local Hanoi travel agent accompanies you to your train compartment - this is important for several reasons.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: hanoi airport to Sapa train

You can get the airport taxi to go to Hanoi train station but you have to pay more 6USD because outside of Old Quarter. Total cost will be 21USD

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
24,653 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hanoi airport to Sapa train

Add the tiredness you will have from your flight into Ha Noi to the tiredness you will have from trying to sleep on a bumpy train and you will arrive in Sa Pa a zombie and have your enjoyment of the experience considerably lessened. Another vote for an overnight at least in Ha Noi.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
542 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hanoi airport to Sapa train

Hanoi city is very attraction. Why don't you stop for 1 day and relax before going to Sapa? I agree that you can go directly from Hanoi airport to the trainstation. You will arrive at the airport at 7pm, need about 30 minutes for taking your luggage then get the taxi to go to the train station after that 1hour 15 minutes. Actualy, there are 3 trains leave in the evening at: 8.20, 9.20 and 9.50. You wil have 2 hours for going.

Eindhoven, The...
Level Contributor
444 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: hanoi airport to Sapa train

IF Halong bay is in your planning, maybe it's better to do private pickup at the airport and go to Halong bay first. When return from Halong bay you can easily make it for the train to Sapa.

New York, New York
Level Contributor
295 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hanoi airport to Sapa train

Thanks everyone for your replies. With all your responses, I think that I might be crazy to go straight. If not, and I stay over in Hanoi 1 night, what do you think about going to sapa for only one night (overnight train on sunday, arrive in Lao Cai/Sapa monday and stay over in Ecolodge, leave Sapa/lao Cai on tuesday night back to Hanoi). I know that it is short, but my friends who are traveling with me are leaving on wed. morning back to NY and we are really trying to fit Sapa into the itinerary.

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hanoi airport to Sapa train

Hey, its better than nothing. Since you will be there on Tues. look into arranging a tour to the market at Coc Ly on Tuesday, followed by boat trip down the river, and then some other small hike after lunch before getting dropped at the train station for the ride back.

Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,314 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hanoi airport to Sapa train

My thoughts are that any time in Sapa is time well spent. You would have one full day and most of the next to see around Sapa before getting the train back to Hanoi. You would have time to do the walk through Cat Ba village to the scenic waterfall as well as seeing the central Sapa markets and town area. I can recommend the food at the Little Sapa restaurant.

Greg