We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chiang Mai to Ha Long Bay?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
326 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Chiang Mai to Ha Long Bay?

Im going to Thailand this November for the lantern festival and was thinking of going to Ha Long Bay in Vietnam. I understand it's from Chiang Mai to Hanoi right?

1. How do I get from Hanoi to Ha Long Bay?

2. How much is it?

3. Any cruise ships you can recommend to tour Ha Long Bay?

4. I've looked at skyscanner and the trips should be arriving at 8AM the next day. Is 3 days and 2 nights enough to tour Ha Long Bay?

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
326 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chiang Mai to Ha Long Bay?

I've just checked Viator.com and they have a Halong Bay small group adventure tour which runs for 11 hours (7 hours probably traspo). Is it ok to do this too or just go with the 3 days 2 nights or 2 days 1 night?

whats the weather like in november?

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Chiang Mai to Ha Long Bay?

Hi Brad,

November is still consider as the best time travel to Ha Long Bay. From Hanoi to Ha Long bay you can take a taxi (private car) or a bus. normally the cruise has pick up service. The car will pick you up at the hotel in the morning than transfer to Ha Long (it takes nearly 4 hours).

For the cruise: You can look at the search box, find the cruise, read the reviews then decide which one. then find some local reliable travel agents asking for quote, negotiate then make the deal. Always work and cheaper than booking with Viator.

Tungdulich

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chiang Mai to Ha Long Bay?

The Halong bay cruise companies pick you up at your hotel in Halong bay and take you back, prices vary but a good cruise will cost around 125$ pp for a 1 night 2 day cruise 2 people sharing there are cheaper options but remember you get what you pay for with these trips.

Sapa
Level Contributor
471 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Chiang Mai to Ha Long Bay?

It can be said that the convenient way to go to halong is to choose a 2 day 1 nite or 3 day 2 nite trip including round trip transfer which is supplied by most of boat company. There are also categories from low to high rates going together with their quality. If you have more budget, you can look into some of reputable brandnames such as Indochina Junk, Paloma, Auco, Bhaya.

Sapa Sunshine Travel

5. Re: Chiang Mai to Ha Long Bay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2014, 13:19